Harris m-300

jhm

I've never had to adjust the ink ball rachet timing. When the ducter hits the ink ball it moves way to much much even with the ink ball speed set at 1. If anyone knows the set up procedure it would be much appriciated. Sorry if my terminology is incorrect. I also looked in the press manual and there was nothing on this set up.

Attachments

• photo7302.jpg
    photo7302.jpg
    638.4 KB · Views: 211
Hey Alois
Thanks for the reply but my issue isn't the doctor setting. There's a timing issue where the ductor hits the ink ball. The ink ball has some type of rachet gear in operator side door that has to be engaged as the doctor hits or the ink ball will spin backwards. But also that rachet gear is on a cam that effects (length of stroke) your ball speed. The ductor should barely turn when set at 1 but is actually turning like other ink balls set at 25-30.

I haven't pulled the ductor out but yes to your first 2 questions. No to your 3rd question. Because once the rachet engages depending where the ink ball cam position is that determines how much the ball moves with the rotation of the press..Just making sure here. This ball speed is controlled by a mechanical process not a motor. I worked on a Toshiba press for 16 years that had a ball speed motor. Much better in my opinion.
Jeff

Hello jhm,

OK ...... there should be a clutch mechanism that prevents the - fast rotation of the "Ductor Roller when it touches the "Fountain Roller" from being driven "Over speed" from the set speed

OR perhaps a Ductor Roller Brake System - that slows the ductor down, look at the roller shaft ends?

The Ink Fountain Roller IS a Pawl and Ratchet Mechanism ---- the cam controls the Pawl .

Yes, Motor Driven Fountain Rollers are better!

Regards, Alois

Ok the pawl and rachet. I'm not sure they have ever been set up correctly. When the Pawl engages the rachet gear it seems like to long a stroke causing to much rotation of the in ball then applying tp much ink. How do I set it up so the Pawl only rotates the cam a small amount. We get by doing tight zero sets of the fountain and just manually tightening keys down. Our gmi is constantly bottoming all our keys out in that unit. We also have a ductor roller that has rubber removed every half inch so we only get 50 percent ink. Just a crazy way to run.
Jeff

I'm sure by now you have solved this problem, but this is only caused by a few things that can happen with a ratchet and pawl system. The shaft for the pawl has worn causing pawl to be engaged all the time with the ratchet or the cam is not set properly so that when you are on zero on your sweep you have no movement on the ink fountain roller, another thing I have seen happen is that the cam follower on the pawl sometimes falls out if not fitted properly into the pawl. All pretty easy to diagnose and fix, hope you got it.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back