HELP!! Goss Metroliner, Ink build up on waterformers

cowboytoddroe

I am a Press operator and run a Goss Metroliner. We are having issues with ink building up on our waterformers and constantly have to scrape them. Our ink values are computer controlled and preset for each job. We have brushes that transfer the water solution as opposed to spray bars. The problem is on all units on the Blue and Yellow mostly, but Red and Black also have ink on the water formers, it just isnt as much of a problem. We hardly ever have to scrape those. What could be causing this? There is no ink in the water pans that I can tell. Where is that ink coming from? It has been like this the whole 3 years I have been here. I used to work on an Urbanite that had sock rollers and we never had this Issue. Is it just the nature of having brushes? Thats what the maintenance guys are saying, but I dont buy it. Thanks for your replys.

Ink formulas may have snookered tapper in good old fashioned H2O.
Just a S.W.A.G. SWAG= Scientific Wild Ass Guess

Gimme a little more information, we'll check the INK first, which is certainly prim and proper. Let's have it, as much as possible.

D

So you want to know the type of ink we are using? I know it comes from USA INK. I do not know the chemistry or mix of the ink. I will ask around. I know that the fountain solution is Liquid Gold. I have been taught that the ink and fountain solution must be compatable and have brought this up to management. They have been using this combination for years. There are really no other issues with this pairing they are using. plates clean up fairly quickly and no scumming. It almost seems to me though that the solution on the water formers should repel the ink from them. It doesnt. The ink pans are cleaned regularly so its not coming from there. I will ask what they have the continuity at. Does that help you help me? And thanks so much for replying.

Supplier of ink and nomenclature, description please.

Why do you think the ink and fount do not seem to be compatible? You are starting to answer the question.

D

So you want to know the type of ink we are using? I know it comes from USA INK. I do not know the chemistry or mix of the ink. I will ask around. I know that the fountain solution is Liquid Gold. I have been taught that the ink and fountain solution must be compatable and have brought this up to management. They have been using this combination for years. There are really no other issues with this pairing they are using. plates clean up fairly quickly and no scumming. It almost seems to me though that the solution on the water formers should repel the ink from them. It doesnt. The ink pans are cleaned regularly so its not coming from there. I will ask what they have the continuity at. Does that help you help me? And thanks so much for replying.

Have your ink and/or fountain solution provider(s) perform a laboratory ink and fount study.

This can be performed on a Duke Emulsification tester or even more elaborate, Lithotronic tester from Novomatics.

This will tell you exactly (particularly the Lithotronic) the ink and water emulsifying properties interactions between your ink and fountain solution. It would be my guess that any ink company worth their salt will know exactly what I am referring to. The fount supplier should also.

Any printer that employs a Goss Metroliner as part of their arsenal of printing machines, deserve the SERVICE of these two consumable suppliers, particulary the ink fellows.

Hopefully you are not involved with an accountant (bean counter) at your establishment that is focused only on the 'selling price' of the ink. This a MAJOR mistake for the well being and profitability of your company. Cheapest is seldom the best when all factors are put into the final equation. And that you can take as gospel.

I am going to take a SWAG, and predict that you are using either Sun Chemical, Hostmann Steinberg Flint, or INX process inks. That order is generally the lowest priced to the highest in my experience.

One last thing. My opinion is that Flint Group makes the best Web printing ink in the United States of America, based on performance, competitive pricing and technical servicing (that which is left of the back burnered missing link). This is true for the available commercial printing ink offerings available.

D Ink Man

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back