Help with a test target?

zcto7

I was wondering if some of you could check out my press target (attached) for an upcoming fingerprinting session. We are migrating from the outdated Kodak Directworks rip to our new Xitron Navigator 8.1 rip. Since the company won't hire a color expert, it's up to me to try and make this work.

It is for a Presstek 34 DI running on a 12.5x18.11 sheet. From what I have been able to gather on the forums, blogs, and books, I have made this target. I was wondering how I can read Hutch gray finder and TAC target?....I have a hunch but am not exactly sure. I don't have room for an IT8 target but was planning on doing that on the 2nd run to confirm my values are ok.

**Edit**
I just noticed I don't have any registration marks for the pressmen :)

Attachments

• DI_Target_Test_LOWRES.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 223
Last edited:
From what I can tell, the large K bars across the top and up the right side are 4/C process rather than just K ink.

best, gordon p

The K is not rich black it's simply a case of 100%K going on automatic (or manual) overprint. You have same % CMY as in the background square.

I would definitely align the CMYKRGB3C step wedges parallel to the printing direction. Keeping all percentages inside the same ink zone for obvious reasons. Then I would add slur marks.

Martin Weberg

First a question - is this running as a dip-sheet?

Hmm what's a dip sheet?

The K is not rich black it's simply a case of 100%K going on automatic (or manual) overprint. You have same % CMY as in the background square.

Ooooh , I will have to make sure I change my overprint settings in indesign. Thanks!!

I would definitely align the CMYKRGB3C step wedges parallel to the printing direction. Keeping all percentages inside the same ink zone for obvious reasons. Then I would add slur marks.

Martin Weberg

On this press the gripper is on the shorter end, so it should be ok (if I understand correctly). Where would I find slur marks? I cant for the life of me find any.

Any tips on using/reading the TAC target and gray finder? :confused:

All I really know is they look pretty high tech :D

A dip-sheet is a sheet that grips on the short end.

There are a number of changes I would make.

1) I don't think you're going to learn anything of value from the gradients at the lead edge.
2) Why do you have the solid bars running down the side? Are you looking at gripper to tail consistency?
3) Remove the RGB blocks. You already have that in the step target.
4) The solid bars at the tail could be reduced to a single color bar.
5) Instead of the step target, maybe you could go with a P2P target. Since you're running the gray finder you could crop the P2P to the 1st five columns.
6) If you don't go with the P2P, you might want to change up the CMY inks in the last column of your step target. The values you have will not yield neutral tones.
7) You've included a quantity of black in the background tone - that's good! I like that you've got the background - it makes for more uniform ink take off.

I've got some slur targets I can send you.

I would consider some neutral imagery and some flesh tones.

A dip-sheet is a sheet that grips on the short end.

There are a number of changes I would make.

1) I don't think you're going to learn anything of value from the gradients at the lead edge.
2) Why do you have the solid bars running down the side? Are you looking at gripper to tail consistency?
3) Remove the RGB blocks. You already have that in the step target.
4) The solid bars at the tail could be reduced to a single color bar.
5) Instead of the step target, maybe you could go with a P2P target. Since you're running the gray finder you could crop the P2P to the 1st five columns.
6) If you don't go with the P2P, you might want to change up the CMY inks in the last column of your step target. The values you have will not yield neutral tones.
7) You've included a quantity of black in the background tone - that's good! I like that you've got the background - it makes for more uniform ink take off.

I've got some slur targets I can send you.

I would consider some neutral imagery and some flesh tones.

Some thoughts and questions about your points:

1) Could the gradients reveal things like shadestepping and optical bumps in the screening?
2) That's what I thought
3) Large RGB blocks can reveal poor ink transfer (i.e. mottle) that might not show up on small RGB patches.
6) The 3/C column appears to be a brown balance (i.e. isometric tone reproduction curve) so it isn't intended to be gray.
7) Background is good but I would go with equal % of cmyk rather that gray balanced with black.

Slur targets are OK, but aren't critical since every dot on the sheet is a slur/doubling target.
I wouldn't include any imagery since they might bias the press operator. Better to just run to the numbers. And do not have a proof at the press.

best, gordon p

On this press the gripper is on the shorter end, so it should be ok (if I understand correctly). Where would I find slur marks? I cant for the life of me find any.

Then you'll be fine. Slur marks are really simple to make. I like the design with radial rays.

Martin Weberg

You can use the attached slur target to start with.

best, gordon p

Attachments

• Slur target.zip
    190 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
I would like to see neutral pannels. Maybe a 25% K and a CMY mix of same, a 50% K and a mix of same and an image which can be repeated later for QC.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back