how do I confirm accuracy of SWOP proofs

truetype1

how do I confirm the accuracy of SWOP proofs. I just loaded the latest SWOP ICC profiles into my Cromanet RIP. Now that I have created a match how do I go about reading the color bars to check each proof for accurate color? I am using a Gretag Spectroscan.

Re: how do I confirm accuracy of SWOP proofs

Hi Tim

You will need some kind of software that compares the lab values measured off your proof to the lab values of the SWOP spec (Are you making SWOP_coated3 or SWOP_coated5, or both?). Three programs I have used and which provide very detailed analysis are ORIS Certified Proof, Chromix ColorThink Pro, and Gretag's Measuretool (which is part of the Profilemaker suite of programs). Unfortunately, none of these is free. Certified Proof is the one designed for exactly what you want to do, as it compares your data and tells you when you are out of tolerance. There are other programs which do the same thing (I think GMG & EFI both make one).

For very basic, FREE analysis, you can sign up for a free Maxwell account, upload your measurement data and compare to SWOP numbers. All that will tell you is avg. delta-E and max. Delta-E, but its better than nothing. Maxwell is at: http://www2.chromix.com/maxwell/index2.cxsa

Hope this helps.

-Todd Shirley

>Gretag's Measuretool (which is part of the Profilemaker suite of programs). Unfortunately, none of these is free

The Compare feature within MeasureTool can be used without a dongle (free), though other aspects of this module are limited.

Another one I'll throw out there is Babelcolor's PatchTool. Nice "comparing" analytical features, nice price, can compare IT874 measurements toward Idealliance system certification requirements (both print and monitor). For online tracking and trending Maxwell shows promise. Internally we use Colormetrix, which is very full featured.

A very good way to verify proofs is EFI's "Color Verifier". You will be able to verify your proofs to all patches on an IT8/7.4 (on an occasional basis) or to UGRA/Fogra or IDEAlliance control patches (on a proof to proof or daily basis). It will compare to any ISO profile, SWOP, GRACoL, or to any profile you might have created for your "in-house" standards.

It will then allow you to print a "PASS/FAIL" label from a small Dymo LabelWriter printer which you can then attach to your proofs.

Best regards,

Ernst Vegt
Coast Imaging Arts

@ Color Blind...

Wow - this is an important document - one should ead this maybe two or three times, if you are old like me...

@ TIM,

page 8 - now there is what you are after, yeah?

- a quick note, much of this is helping people grasp concepts related to analog proofs made from screened film (back before CTP made film mostly obsolete...

I do not think it is very practical (or even possible) to expect someone to actually check a physical proof for many of the things described here...

I might venture a guess that you are asking about an inkjet proof, so most of what is described here is well, useless...but Page 8 should get you started !

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back