How do you make a 2nd hit in RAMpage?

appstro

We cannot seem to get RAMpage to make "stay aways" on second hits around knocked out areas. We end up making the colors process to make it work. Like using black and a 30% cyan as the second hit. We'd like to leave the file colors as is for proofing. How are you all handling this?

Mike

How are you specifying the 2nd hit? we have always just done it by assigning the elements an extra ink, and specify a pullback on it.

How do you specify a "pull back"? I am totally new to RAMpage and I cannot seem to get any combination of selections in the trap/rip dialog to get this to work.

Are you using a rich black? If the ink that needs the pullback isn't part of a rich black, you can manually do a pullback like this.
1. Select the object to pull back.
2. Select the choke trap and the amount of trap you want.
3. Select the check box of the color you want to pull back.
4. Save.
5. Preview change.

OK... Lets say you have a PMS 877 on a 8.5 x 11 page. In the middle of the page is a photo of a face that is a half tone in 877... Weird huh.. Anyway, There is also a title in 20 point type that is under the photo and its knocked out showing the paper (or white). The pressman hate this sort of thing and it always comes back with a request for a second hit. One for the half tone and a 40% under run, and another with the photo area knocked out and the rest of the panel 100%. This way the pressman can control the half tone and lay down the 100% as much as needed without worrying about the half tone plugging up. Easy right??? No... Well not for me anyway. I have to show the client a proof and that file also has to be printable. In the old days we would just make the 100% Black and the 40% Cyan and the cyan would create a stay away in the type areas. The client would never see "that" file since we used Matchprints back then. Now that we are using RAMpage I need to be able to show a proof printed on an epson that looks correct. I cannot figure out how to make type have a "stay away" in these situations.

Will this work?
".... you can manually do a pullback like this.
1. Select the object to pull back. (I already tried selecting the type and making it spread...Not working)
2. Select the choke trap and the amount of trap you want. ( There doesnt seem to be any trap)
3. Select the check box of the color you want to pull back.
4. Save.
5. Preview change."

I havent tried this exact way yet, but I have tried several other ways....

I'll apologize ahead of time. It's been almost 4 years since I've used Rampage but I'll try it anyway.

I remember changing the ink values (Neutral Density I believe) of the bump plate to be lighter (lower in number) than the plate you want to be full strength. It should also be called by a different name. (i.e. 877 bump or something like that) This would force the lighter plate (the one with the screens) to "pull back", "keep away", "stay away" whatever you call it in your shop, and create the trap desired.

I did this because Rampage would see the 877 spot color as the same ND and would therefore not trap. By changing the number it now thinks it's a lighter (by value) color and will trap according to your settings. And your Epson should come out looking just fine.

Now, don't ask me what menu or setting to find that under because I have no idea!

I hope this helps and thank you for making me think today;)

I cannot figure out how to make type have a "stay away" in these situations.

I have done this several times, but have never been able to use the 'Pullback' feature in Rampage. Instead I have to do the following which may be what you are already doing:

1. Make a mix of Black and 40% Magenta. Use this for the background
2. Set the halftone to be Magenta.

Rampage will automatically 'pull back' the Magenta around the text because it thinks this is a superblack.

I know this doesn't help with your proofing to the customer, but it will work on press.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back