HP Large Wide-Format Paper Support

ROCPrinter

Does anyone know who I may be able to contact in the NE for HP wide-format support?

I have two designjet 5500's (one using UV and one Dye inks)

We are trying to switch to HP large format papers. If you go on HP's web-site they list the different substrates for these devices ( HP Designjet 5500 Printer series - Accessories, supplies & services ). We purchased the Q8922A - 42" Photo satin paper and it works great! Then we purchased a roll of the CG439A and the ink will not dry on it. The 5500 is listed under the CG439A as a "compatible product".

I have tried to call HP with no success. Over the past three days I have been passed around from department to department while spending over three hours on the phone. I know no more now than I did when I first started calling minus the fact that I learned how screwed up HP is! This is why I am now reaching out on here...

Does anyone use HP's wide-format material?

Does anyone know the difference between the "CG" before their number and the "Q"?

Does "Q" stand for quick dry?

They have it so that we are printing on the rough side of the "scrim banner material". Is it wound inside out? Should we be printing on the smooth side? HP's web-site states under this material "A fire-resistant frontlit scrim banner with a smooth reflective surface". Well, I'm not printing on that smooth surface because the way the roll is wound we are printing on the rough side!

Again, Does anyone know who I may be able to contact in the NE for HP wide-format support?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Last edited:
Hi,

I have no idea. I would suggest you that you should talk to tech support of Hp. They can give you best and vital information.

Hi,

I have no idea. I would suggest you that you should talk to tech support of Hp. They can give you best and vital information.

Nelson, Thanks for your reply but it seems to me that you missed a rather large paragraph above where I stated:

"I have tried to call HP with no success. Over the past three days I have been passed around from department to department while spending over three hours on the phone. I know no more now than I did when I first started calling minus the fact that I learned how screwed up HP is! This is why I am now reaching out on here..."

To be more specific I have called their Tech. Support; Tech. Support for Small/med/lrg Businesses; Pre-Sales Dept.; Post Sales dept or

1-800-752-8090
1-800-888-5858
1-800-334-5144
1-800-474-6836

None of the people from India can help me!

Pitman now Agfa has pretty good support 1-800-367-3729

I've used HP support enough to say it Blows. You'll be on the phone for ever talking to someone you can hardly understand. FYI, they are not in India, the folks I talk to are in Costa Rica.

If your located around the Philadelphia area ask for a sales rep from Agfa. If they can't help you I'm sure they can find someone who can

Does anyone use HP's wide-format material?

Not many people do, no. Keep in mind that HP doesn't actually manufacture any media. They buy it all from someone else and then sell it at what usually amount to substantial increases over what you can buy the same stuff from from someone else. (Not that Epson and Canon don't do pretty much the same thing.)

For that reason most people just search out 3rd party media that suit their particular needs.

I'm curious why you're printing on the wrong side of this stuff though--as you almost certainly are; to my knowledge there isn't any media made for any aqueous machine that's wound print side in. And that would certainly keep it from drying. Did someone tell you to do this? And have you tried simply printing on the other side? All aqueous inkjet media has to have some kind of receptor coat on it to accept the ink. If you're printing on the wrong side, it's obviously not there.

If you try the right side and it still doesn't dry, then you're simply putting down too much ink. You can try different front panel media settings to get one that has lower ink limits (assuming you're not running these machines with a RIP)...or if it was me, I'd just find another media.

(Edited to add: Maybe I misunderstood what you're saying. It is possible for media to be miswound. I've seen it happen before. If you're printing on the outside of the roll, then try cutting off some of the material, turning it over and running it through as a sheet, printing on the other side. If it turns out it prints correctly, then...well, at least you can get your money back for however many rolls you bought, then you might want to consider looking for other suppliers.)

Mike Adams
Correct Color

Last edited:
I reached out to my Indigo sales rep and he put me in touch with the right person.

The one thing I always ask is, for our vendors to just make it right. I just received a phone call and HP they did make it right. I am receiving the proper materials soon and I now have the information I need moving forward. It was just the wrong material listed on the web site under our printer...

I'm happy!

Thank you for your input everyone!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back