i1 Profiler

Prepper

We have Profilemaker and use that for printer and press profiles in that past, now with Profiler out and hearing that MeasureTool may not work at all in OS 10.7, is it time to upgrade to this or keep an old machine just for Profilemaker? Tried using MeasureTool yesterday and Compare feature locks it up every time on 10.5.8 now, reinstalled this am and still doesn't work?

I understand that it will not Compare or Average so what do I use for that now? My second concern is I take the Gracol data set and modify the GCR in Profilemaker to create our "Gracol" profile with high GCR, is this same option available in the new Profiler, are GCR options there and black point settings like in Profilemaker? Black start/stop, TIL, etc.?

Is this new one good for press profiles and if not what would the best options be?

I do like the looks of being able to print the Idealliance color bar and read it in and get a pass/fail report, does that work as described?

Thanks for any input

Last edited:
We have Profilemaker and use that for printer and press profiles in that past, now with Profiler out and hearing that MeasureTool may not work at all in OS 10.7, is it time to upgrade to this or keep an old machine just for Profilemaker? Tried using MeasureTool yesterday and Compare feature locks it up every time on 10.5.8 now, reinstalled this am and still doesn't work?

I use Measure Tool with OS 10.6.7 all the time...no problems to speak of. Not sure of what will happen with 10.7 though....I don't think anybody does.

I understand that it will not Compare or Average so what do I use for that now?

Don't know where you're getting your information but it will absolutely allow you to average multiple data sets and compare data sets...it's DIFFERENT than doing it in Measure Tool but the functionality is there. For example, data averaging is accomplished by measuring and saving each data set and then drag/dropping the data sets on to the measurement window (or workflow icon).

My second concern is I take the Gracol data set and modify the GCR in Profilemaker to create our "Gracol" profile with high GCR, is this same option available in the new Profiler, are GCR options there and black point settings like in Profilemaker? Black start/stop, TIL, etc.?

It's better in my opinion than ProfilerMaker.....and, yes, you've got all the control you had in PM5..and then some. I count 8 different K generation curves (min....to...full/max) as well as K start, K limit, K width. There's even a couple of carryovers from MonacoPROFILER such as Contrast, Saturation and Neutralize Gray *sliders*. Plus more table size options and a smoothness slider.

Is this new one good for press profiles and if not what would the best options be?

It's not good for press profiles....it's GREAT for press profiles :) The smoothness slider is a god-send for press profiles since press data is typically "lumpy" or non-linear.

What you have with i1Profiler is the chart flexibility of ProfileMaker but with essentially the color engine of MonacoPROFILER....plus a few more bells & whistles. i1Profiler is not without it's issues, but in terms of making very good profiles, I think it's wonderful. (I forgot to mention the profile "iteration" or optimization feature....I've yet to find this feature make a substantial contribution but it does seem to improve profiles a bit).

I've been doing "production" inkjet proofing profiles for a couple of months now with i1Profiler and find the dE values (matching to GRACoL data) to be well under 1.0 dE2000...typically, .60-.80 average. dE76 values tend to be 1.0-1.2 average.

I do like the looks of being able to print the Idealliance color bar and read it in and get a pass/fail report, does that work as described?

Have't tried it, but I assume it works as advertised.

Regards,
Terry

Re: i1 Profiler

Sounds great Terry, thanks so much for the info and your time. Sounds like something I should definitely upgrade to now over Profilemaker. Never used Monaco product so will have to search that out a littile to see how those other options you mentioned work.

Thanks again,
the other Terry

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back