Illustrator Help

pabney

I have need to recreate the effect on this text. I know it was done in Illustrator, and the text is outlined, but have no idea how it was done. Was hoping it was some kind of effect or filter that someone can recognize.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

Attachments

• sample.pdf
    548.1 KB · Views: 186
all they've done is copy the text and pasted behind to create a drop shadow.
if you are talking about how they made it 2 toned, its a font and then when you create outlines or expand the font then you can color each piece.

its a style of font . . .

its a style of font . . .

I think its a font similar to ITC Mona Lisa recut and solid and then stacked

Attachments

• mona lisa.pdf
    9.9 KB · Views: 206
The "recut and solid and then stacked" method doesn't appear to have the same beveled edge effect.

-Erik

dabob,

I agree. I googled beveled fonts and saw a couple that had the beveled effects in the font and they came close to the sample but the font style itself was different. At first I thought the beveled effect came from Illustrator but my money is on that it's coming from the font itself.

-Erik

Citation is the font for sure. Good eye!
Screen Shot 2013-02-08 at 1.23.13 PM.png

Erik, Thanks for that. I now have the font at least.
Next question is how to get the green. I see that WI-Flexo has gotten it, but my skills in Illustrator or nil. What I have so far

I. Create text to size
2. outline text
3. release compound path

After that everything just turns to the same color. Do I just select each highligh/bevel and change it or is there something easier. I only ask as I have about 100 titles to do this to.

Thanks everyone for your help so far. I am much farther along than I thought I would be at this point.

Paul

Erik, Thanks for that. I now have the font at least.
Next question is how to get the green. I see that WI-Flexo has gotten it, but my skills in Illustrator or nil. What I have so far

I. Create text to size
2. outline text
3. release compound path

After that everything just turns to the same color. Do I just select each highligh/bevel and change it or is there something easier. I only ask as I have about 100 titles to do this to.

Thanks everyone for your help so far. I am much farther along than I thought I would be at this point.

Paul

eyedrop to get the green color, use direct select (white arrow) to select a piece.

Paul, I have experimented with different methods. All do what you require. The first two will increase your skills in illustrator which is a plus. The minus is that it will be repetitive to do this for 100 titles, even with the aid of an action.

I will try to get back to you later in my day...

There is another method, however you will need a font editor to "simplify" the font for the solid fill.

Stephen Marsh

Paul, here are links to two quick movies that I made to demonstrate the process -

Method 1:
Pathfinder

Method 2:
Live Paint

The first method could mostly be recorded as an action, you could also include your drop shadow creation etc. Instead of using the pathfinder one could just release the compound path, both methods achieve the same end. This method would be OK for digital printing as shown. If you were going to separations on a traditional press, then there would be issues with registration with this method and you would have to use a negative offset path to shrink these edges under the black keyline edges.

The second method using live paint does not really lend itself to recording in an action as it uses manual paint bucket moves, however it is probably technically better than the first method if you were going to traditional separated printing where trapping would be applied.

There are of course many ways to go about this task, including others I have not shown - and I have not shown every step that I would do on a live job, such as removing unnecessary paths etc. I am just trying to show some possibilities that do not take too much time considering that you have many letters and many titles.

Hope this helps and let me know if you need me to expand on any of these points or steps in the videos.

Regards,

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
Paul . . . here is another idea . .. probably not as elegant and none of it is in illustrator . . do you have InDesign and Photoshop?

If so try this . . .

1. create title in InDesign and export as a PDF
2. open in Photoshop as a grayscale image at 1200 dpi or the appropriate resolution depending on your output device
3. select the areas that will remain white
4. inverse your selection
5. fill with black
6 convert to bitmap and save as a tiff
7. place tiff into InDesign and assign it the second color
8. stack type over tiff and assign a drop shadow to the type
9. export as a pdf and you have a graphic that you can place.

One advantage is that you could do 5 titles at a time almost as easy as one . . .

If you worry about overprinting issues you could create a 2nd "black" that wouldn't overprint the color and if you need registration allowance assign a stroke of .1 pt to the type and it will give you a little fudge allowance to the placement of the two items together . . .

If you have any ?s send me a pm with your phone and I'll give you a call Monday to talk

bob

Attachments

• title comp.pdf
    32.9 KB · Views: 193
Thanks everyone. I now have something to work with. Not sure which way I will go just yet, but will give all of them a try.

Paul

Paul, I have attached an action to automate the process of the first video (except for where it requires manual selection of objects or other moves). This is the method that I would use as a "last resort", the live paint method is the better of the two.

Stephen Marsh

Attachments

• Solid Fill Citation LET Font.zip
    1.5 KB · Views: 178
Stephen,
Thanks for that. After trying all the methods described, I have decided to go with the live paint option. As this is going to be trapped in the rip and I want to keep items vector whenever possible.

Thanks again everyone for the tremendous help.

Paul

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back