Ilumina background toner

andy1

Hey guys, yes it's me again!

Wondering if anyone is or has had problems with using compatible toner in a printer, the symptoms are terrible toner scatter on any media type (not just the glossy papers). I don't want to spend another £1,000 replacing the drums and toners with genuine if it's the printer that's at the end of it's life. So far I've been flogging a dead horse with this machine but it could save a fair amount of money if I can get the damn thing working.

Basically I'm getting horrendous toner scatter and banding within the scatter on all papers from 80gsm to 350gsm both coated and un-coated. This is definitely a fault and the only 2 possible causes left are compatible toner or a dead printer...if anyone has had scatter with compatible and solved it with genuine toner I'd really like to hear from you.

Thanks,
Andy

P.S. anyone following my last posts...looks like the OKI es9410 (and I presume all other OKI's) aren't happy with glossy coated media, their sample book contains silk coated media which looks acceptable but gloss seems out.

To update any followers of this thread: the toner scatter problem is down to compatible toner. Replacing the toner with genuine makes a huge difference to the glossy toner scatter, it doesn't completely remove it, but it's virtually invisible and well within tolerances.

Genuine can be too expensive for some applications, so my advice - if you want to use compatible toner - is to buy one colour and give it a good run through before considering buying a full set (Black is best for testing). I, however, will be using genuine for the foreseeable future.

If anyone wants some advice on the toner I used - or anything else - please get in touch so you can avoid the same mistake.

Thanks,
Andy

P.S. It's also worth noting for anyone who uses ink coverage software such as APFill, that the printer is more efficient than the software indicates. My toner usage is regularly 15-20% lower than predicted and image drums are rated to 42k prints if printing continuous jobs, 30k if the jobs are of reasonable length (3+ prints) or just 24k if every page is different (variable data).

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back