InDesign constantly crashing

jonkovach

My InDesign CS3 crashes a lot.

It seems like it's mostly when it has to interact with Finder - i.e. setting up a filename to save to, setting up a file location to save to, relinking and searching for link files, etc...

Is there anything I can do to debug the software?

Thanks,
Jon

Re: InDesign constantly crashing

I am running OS 10.5.2.
I am working on local files.
I will trash my prefs and see if that helps - thanks!
Jon

Nope - didn't fix the problem. Stillllll crashing.

It seems like it crashes every time a window comes up to select where to save a file to, or where to get a file from (placing a link).... would this have anything to do with Finder?

Jon

try booting into safe mode, then delete your finder plist and then restart into your normal user.

You may have bad font(s) in your system, try removing it out of the User/Library folders. Relaunch and test if it still crashes.

Well, I haven't tried to boot in safe mode and delete the finder plist yet - I will try that next... I am downloading the 10.5.3 update right now - and it seems like a big one. I'll test that out. Do you have a link for a list of known bugs with 10.5.2?

Along the lines of the bad font - I am running Suitcase Fusion. I did a scan of all the system fonts, and it found no corrupt or bad fonts. Is this the best way to find them, or is there a better way?

Thanks again.
Jon

Still crashing.... I trashed the Finder prefs, updated to 10.5.3, and looked for bad fonts.... stillllll crashing.
Jon

> {quote:title=jonkovach wrote:}{quote}
> Still crashing.... I trashed the Finder prefs, updated to 10.5.3, and looked for bad fonts.... stillllll crashing.
> Jon

Hi Jon,

If you haven't already, try creating a new Mac OS X user account and use InDesign while logged into that new account and see if that eliminates the crashing.

All the best,
Jon Morgan
Hopkins Printing

I think that did it. I did all this last night, and it wasn't working. But after shutting down and trying again this morning, the nav systems seem to be working wonderfully! Thanks so much for your help!!
Jon

I found a work around that works on crashes, by changes some habits. Do not just double click the indesign file when opening. Get in the habit of launching indesign first and "file/open" and navigate to the file you want open. This seems to help prevent any crashing there after on the file.

Another thing that can make InDesign crash is the temp files it uses to rebuild documents. If that information is corrupt, you may need to clean out your Document Recovery Data. The default location is your user Library > Caches > Adobe InDesign > Version 5.0 > InDesign Recovery. You can check you Fine Handling prefs for this.

I was getting that issue quite frequently. I removed folders that I added to the finder window sidebar and that seemed to help the issue.

Seems like when the OS is drawing the dialog, it needs to verify the location of all of the folders in the sidebar. I had placed a number of folders in the sidebar for frequently accessed directories like "current projects" or "client templates". Ever since I removed them, inDesign has behaved much better.

I also upgraded to 10.5.3 so that could have something to do with it as well. Try removing any custom folders in the finder window sidebar and see if that helps.

I have two folder shortcuts in my Finder sidebar - they are folders that are always there, will never be removed, etc etc....
You think that could be causing a problem?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back