Indesign CS4 to CS3

hansman

When exporting to In Design CS3 .inx file we have had some unexpected results with fonts.
Anyone else having issues?

Not seen any issues could you be more explicit? What fonts and what context? Is it some fonts that are allways problematic? (could be related to font coding issue with symbolic fonts? Just my guess)

Hi hansman,
as far as i know CS4 installs its own versions of fonts which are not back compatible(not usable with CS3-2-1), dont know which ones but i guess Minion, Myriad... etc. Do you use one of them? If yes i suppose if you change them with other fonts not 'updated' by CS4 the document should be OK after saving it as .inx. I know it's not a perfect way but cant figure other one :eek:(

Compatible Fonts?

Compatible Fonts?

Pretty scary... (okay, downright annoying), that Adobe would install fonts that are not compatible with other programs (even if the software is their own). Somebody please tell me this is NOT the case!!!
Fonts have been a pain in the #!* for as long as I can remember... If this is true, I'd love to hear from someone at Adobe as to the reason why this would be seen as a good thing???

Hi hansman,
as far as i know CS4 installs its own versions of fonts which are not back compatible(not usable with CS3-2-1), dont know which ones but i guess Minion, Myriad... etc. Do you use one of them? If yes i suppose if you change them with other fonts not 'updated' by CS4 the document should be OK after saving it as .inx. I know it's not a perfect way but cant figure other one :eek:(

Thanks for the suggestions
The font in question is Trade Gothic....
By back-saving an entire word fell off a type box.
I checked all the attributes in both programs all are the same.

back saving various files

back saving various files

As with any programme, files should not be back saved to a previous version. If you do you WILL expect problems.

As with any programme, files should not be back saved to a previous version. If you do you WILL expect problems.

heh. I think most people know this, but customers / suppliers demand stuff back in some form that they can use - and suggesting that they upgrade their software to the latest version isn't always the best thing to say. :)

I have not done many (mac) CS4 -> CS3 conversions but haven't seen any problems occurring.

Trade Gothic is not an Adobe installed font. I think you are barking the wrong tree. Sometimes it is better to find the problem before starting shouting or you start a panic that is totally unjustified. Some older fonts were encoded wrong initially and there has previously been an acceptance to call these "symbol" encoded to get around it. In CS4 this is not done so the fonts are recoded but fragments of information remains, we process hundreds of jobs per week have not seen problembs but have heard of others that have had problems and tried to find out why, how, and how it can be avoided.

That being said, letts go back tho the initial problem you ask if there are problembs (general), but you do have a specific problem. Let me clarify.

You have problems with a document containing Trade Gothic converted from CS4 to CS3?
Do you use CS4 and CS3 on the same computer (physical)? Is it on the same platform?
Do you use font management software?
Do you have exactly the same font and font version, including afm files if you are useing metrics kerning?

Some reflowing may happen due to changes in the text engine this is not a bugg, If you make use of a feature that was not available in a previous version then it will have to be emulated, and it will require confirming the appearance. There may be tables in a font that were previously ignored and now are read, since it did contain information, so if it occurs with just one font it may be the font that has the flaw, not the program.

Trade Gothic is not an Adobe installed font.

That being said, letts go back tho the initial problem you ask if there are problembs (general), but you do have a specific problem. Let me clarify.

You have problems with a document containing Trade Gothic converted from CS4 to CS3?
Do you use CS4 and CS3 on the same computer (physical)? Is it on the same platform?
Yes OS X.57
Do you use font management software?
Yes Suitcase Fusion
Do you have exactly the same font and font version, including afm files if you are useing metrics kerning?
Yes Same Mac

Just a note we had to back save for layout convenience in that we use .jylt from HP

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back