Indesign frustration

cornerstone

Scenario: I'm working in InDesign and need to flip over to another program. I leave the Indesign file open. When I want to go back to my Indesign file I click on the open file but Indesign doesn't 'activate'. The program is grayed out. I have to click on another open program on the Dock and then click on the Indesign icon on the dock. Now my Indesign file is 'activated'. Any time I go back to Indesign I have to click on the Dock icon instead of clicking on my open Indesign file window. UGH!
Does anyone else have this problem? I even tried re-installing Indesign. It's VERY frustrating! All other adobe programs work just fine when I click on the open document.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Is InDesign the only application showing this behavior?
Was there an earlier time when this was not so?
Which OSX version are you on?
Are you using any system extensions that affect program switching?

Al

Yes, Indesign is the only application behaving like this. It worked fine until about 5 months ago. I upgraded to 5.5 from 5.0 and I was hoping that would solve the problem but it didn't. My operating system is 10.6.8. I'm not sure what you mean by system extensions.

Is InDesign the only application showing this behavior?
Was there an earlier time when this was not so?
Which OSX version are you on?
Are you using any system extensions that affect program switching?

Al

Your answer may be hidden in what you changed 5 months ago.

System extensions are like plug-ins, but for the operating system instead of a particular application.

Al

Resetting the InDesign Preferences might solve the problem. I haven't done this in a long time, but I think you have to hold down command + Shift While Opening InDesign

Thank you, and I'll try not to let you down, but I had forgotten that about the ID preferences, and my fair guess is that Cornerstone had also, or may not have known it.

Al

Have you tried holding down the CMD key and hitting the TAB key to cycle between open apps? Curious to see if this behaves the same way.

Stephen Marsh

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back