indesign .inx question

wonderings

I am using indesign CS4, latest updates. Is there away to have indesign create an .inx file when it packages a job? I want basically packaging to work as it does, but to add an .inx file as well as the .indd file.

This sounds like something a script could be created for. Unfortunately I don't script for InDesign. You could check out the InDesign User to User forum or the Adobe Resource pages.

Just curious, why do you need a .inx file saved out?

I am aslo interested :) would be nice in the package…*oh one thing I noticed is that variables in IND4 will make an inx that spinns the beachball forever. There may be other things that need tending to too, like GREP paragraph styles? So there sould be a "prepare for inx" script to make the document independant of CS4 too?

This sounds like something a script could be created for. Unfortunately I don't script for InDesign. You could check out the InDesign User to User forum or the Adobe Resource pages.

Just curious, why do you need a .inx file saved out?

I will check some of the adobe forums and see whats out there. Its not a huge deal, but I would like it to be somewhat backward compatible so older systems can open the file and take a look at it.

Any luck with this? would be helpful.. We have CS3/4, and inx is nice for sending/opening CS4 file in CS3..

I have a script that exports IDML or INX if you want. I am also currently building one that will package and export these formats in one script. Email me at: struktr at gmail dot com if you are interested. All scripts are java-script and should work for mac and pc. I also do custom scripts for a nominal fee.

I have attached a simple script to export a INX file to the same directory as the active document.

There are two places you can install scripts in InDesign: The application folder and the user script folder. The easiest way to find these folders is to open the Scripts panel in InDesign (Window > Automation > Scripts), then right-click (or Ctrl-click with a one-button mouse) on either Application or User. We tend to use “User” for scripts that we’ve downloaded, but it’s up to you and the permissions you have on your computer. From the context menu, choose Reveal in Finder (or Reveal in Windows Explorer). Inside the folder that opens there is a folder called Scripts panel. Put your scripts inside that.

Any script inside the Scripts Panel folder will show up immediately in InDesign. No need to restart the program.

Attachments

• SIMPLE_INX.zip
    575 bytes · Views: 201
When exportint to INX i found that Indesign will export to inx even when variables are used. To create a file that InD 3 can open you need to search for variables and convert to text. I don't know of other issues (yet) that would make the inx impossible to open in InD 3. Would it be possible to add converting variables in such a script? (well I know yes it is possible, I guess I'm asking for somone to help come up with the code)

When exportint to INX i found that Indesign will export to inx even when variables are used. To create a file that InD 3 can open you need to search for variables and convert to text. I don't know of other issues (yet) that would make the inx impossible to open in InD 3. Would it be possible to add converting variables in such a script? (well I know yes it is possible, I guess I'm asking for somone to help come up with the code)

If you can send an example of your file, and a better description of what you want changed I will try to help. Screen shots of the variables you need changed would also help. :D

Please zip the files and screen shots and send to me:

struktr at gmail dot com

Well the variable i used was the total number number of pages.
it was applied in the footer as page x of y.
Where x was page number, wich is supported and y was total number of pages rightclicking in text and choosing insert variable: last page number.

There is no warning to say that the variables will make the inx fail in InD 3
What I did was use tilde (~)v, wich searches for any variable in the find/change pannel and then use type>textvariables>convertvariables to text (guess I need to assign that one a key ;P)

Don't mind sending you a file but it's so easy to reproduce.

It would be better if I had a working document as close to the actual production file as you can supply to test against.

The script would need to act differently depending on:
The objects parent or spread.
If it is contained within a group, table, or master text frame.
If it has a paragraph or character style applied.

If you have a document open and there are no other text variables in the document you can use the script I have attached here:

Warning: It does not contain any error checking and will fail if there is no document open.

Attachments

• SIMPLE_TEXT_VARIABLE.zip
    250 bytes · Views: 198

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back