ineo+ 284e and vdp software

motormount

High all!

Management is thinking about buying this printer to add some vdp functionality to the shop.

What software solutions would you suggest?

Some indesign plugin-if there is one working properly-,fusion pro,xmpie or something else?

When i'm taliking vdp,we just want it BW on already printed sheets,single numbering,multiple numbering,some addresses maybe....

Would i need a rip for such a task?

Thanks in advance!

If you're printing to that, and you're just looking to merge a few B&W variables, I would go with Fusion Pro. XMPie would probably be too costly an option for what you need to do. And if I was being cheap and I didn't already have InDesign, I'd probably just merge my documents out of MS Word. It's not the best, but it's functional for small-scale production.

What we usually do is numbering coupons.

There could be as much as ten different coupons in a single-printer- sheet,or any combination you can think of,(three of coupon A,two of coupon B,one of coupon C and four of coupon D for example.

And it could be as much as 10 different kind of sheets -with 10 coupons each- at a time.

I did some tests with data merge-indieCS2-,i found it slow at file export for a simple -but long- job,and i currently haven't figured out how could i set up more complex jobs.

Word haven't crossed my mind,the data comes in excell files and i don't know if it can handle this.

I asked again if i need a rip to drive the printer just for printing numbers on ''blanc'' sheets-artwork will be already be printed in our offset-,what would you think?

Thanks in advance!

Well, it sounds like you do need something more potent than MS Word. If you're using Fusion Pro or Xmpie you can output your merged data to a pdf file so it's already "pre-ripped" for printing, in which case it shouldn't slow you down when you try to print. Is slow printing your concern when you ask about a rip?

@Stephen Marsh

Didn't try that out yet,but i think it applies to cs2 as well.
Thanks anyway!

@jmstone

I'm asking about the rip out of plain curiosity.
I just don't know if you need one for printing -a lot of- numbers to a photocopier.
Now you mention slow printing do you think there could be differences in speed,printing with a rip or the printer driver?
Sometimes i print straight to our ipf6450 and i haven't noticed it printing slower or faster than when i print through meta!

One thing i haven't asked,but should be asking first!
As i said,if they decide to buy it,we will be printing variable data on pre-printed sheets-130gr stock-.
Now,based on your experience,would you thing that sheets with heavy coverage could make trouble to machines like that?

Thanks again!

Sure, you could have some trouble with heavy coverage on pre-printed shells. The biggest concern for me was always the ink transferring to the fuser rollers and then smudging onto your next job or causing toner not to fuse all the way. For what it's worth, I have an ineo + 284e printer in my office that we use for pre-printed card stock. It has no issues, but the coverage on the shells is very light.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back