Ink Film Thickness

caslon

Trying to figure out an average of ink film thickness for typical sheetfed offset work.
So if we print (gracol) 4c process and then flood varnish, what would the individual/combined thickness of the coatings be?
As an example, if I print a 1000 page book, how much added thickness would the book have?

And for a bonus question, what would the additional weight be?

Assuming is all cases the coatings are dry.

Anyone have any numbers I can start with?

Thanks in advance.

G

Trying to figure out an average of ink film thickness for typical sheetfed offset work.
So if we print (gracol) 4c process and then flood varnish, what would the individual/combined thickness of the coatings be?
As an example, if I print a 1000 page book, how much added thickness would the book have?

And for a bonus question, what would the additional weight be?

Assuming is all cases the coatings are dry.

Anyone have any numbers I can start with?

Presswork ink film thickness on the sheet is about 1-1.5 microns. Varnish is about 1.5 -2.5 microns.

Weight (compared to blank sheet) depends on coverage.

best, gordon p

Dear Gordo

How about relationship between Ink Film Thickness with Ink density? Thick Film always High Density or not?

Dear Gordo

How about relationship between Ink Film Thickness with Ink density? Thick Film always High Density or not?

This post on my blog has a graph about this. Click on the chart here:
The Print Guide: Printing at DMaxx - maximizing the CMYK gamut

You can formulate ink to have have a thicker ink film but a lower SID if needed. Ink film thickness is key for the mechanical function of an offset press. Too thick or too thin and the process fails. The density dimension is related more to hitting CIELab targets.

How to measure ink density of spot color such as Dark Blue or Dense Black, It possible to achieve ink density under 2.0.
We have the phenomenom after decreased ink film thickness (Dark Blue) density still high.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back