IPA’s Color Management Professional (CMP) Certification Program

UberTech

Does anyone have any experience with this qualification? Would you consider this a well regarded qualification to have?

Does anyone have any experience with this qualification? Would you consider this a well regarded qualification to have?

It's 17 modules that span about 6-7 hours of training. At the end you take a test of about 70 randomized questions, and you get 3 chances to take the test. At the end you get a certificate that's good for one year.

Well regarded, I don't know. I'd never heard of it before my employer signed me up, and I haven't met anyone else with it.

Overall, there was a lot of good information. I had already earned certification through xRite and Apple, so I went into this with a pretty large frame of reference. If this is your first foray into color management, it's probably a good one since you get more than one chance to test out, and it'll let you know where your weaknesses are so you can go back and study the training modules a little more.

I would say it's worth it. In my opinion, it's hard to find a college nearby that teaches this stuff, and even if I did find one, it would probably cost $800 and take 4 months to complete. I had this certification within two days of signing up. As with anything, your mileage may vary, but I liked it.

I was just recently certified. The material is very good. The fundamental course should be easy for you if you have any real world color management experience. My only complaint is that the advanced courses have been delayed for some reason. I was told by one of the "higher ups" at the IPA that the prepress course would be ready by the end of 2008 and here we are in February 2009 and still waiting. If I were you I would wait until it's all put together before I signed up. I went through all the material for the fundamental course over a weekend about 4 months ago only to find out the test had not been posted yet. I just took and passed the test a couple of weeks ago.
Is it highly regarded? If I ever have to go job hunting, I hope so!

How does this compare to the G7 Professional Certification? Is one recommended over the other...I was about taking the G7 certification but now seeing this post I may look into the CMP program.

G7 & IPA's CMP Certification Program

G7 & IPA's CMP Certification Program

The G7 Certification program is specific to the print production process. The IPA CMP Fundamentals course is a broad base of knowledge for the whole graphic workflow, not just print. The program consists of eight courses for a comprehensive understanding of color management through the whole production workflow from creative through delivery.

The first two courses: CMP Fundamentals and Photography are now available. The others will be available soon.

G7 Professional certification is completely separate and topically different than the CMP cert program. Whereas the G7 training is focused on the G7 methodology itself, CMP training is focused more on color management as a whole. There's sure to be a slight amount of overlap in regards to color management, but one is not a replacement for the other.

Good information...thank you both. I guess I can't go wrong if I go through both courses, now to convince my employer to put it in the budget. :)

Good information...thank you both. I guess I can't go wrong if I go through both courses, now to convince my employer to put it in the budget. :)
acp, if you need help convincing your employer, just let me know. I can send you more info directed at management, like how to incorporate CMP Certification into your company's sales message, etc. Just send me your contact info and I'd be happy to send more info. [email protected]

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back