Is 10.5 Leopard stable for production yet?

zcto7

After struggling on a G5 iMac for a few months I will be taking in my Mac-Pro and Eizo monitor into work in the next month or so and am debating whether or not to load leopard or just stick with 10.4 ?

I really like the quickview for pdf's and springy folders on the dock would be nice, but the real reason would be for speed performance increases with the multiple cores and time machine. We dont have any backups at all in the prepress room and it kind if scares me that they can lose 3-4 years of stuff, and having backed up versions of the projects would be nice to go back into time after overwriting it.

The only things I will be using will be:

CS4 design standard suite
Pitstop 08
Dynastrip
Eizo Coloredge calibration software
Mac Office 04

It seems to be stable at home but I dont work on it a lot anymore so I thought i'd check out the consensus around here.

Is 10.5 Leopard stable for production yet?

IMHO it is.
I know for a fact that it will work fine using:

Adobe CS
Pitstop
Dynastrip
Mac Office

I have been using Leopard since March with those applications on MacPro towers and Intel iMacs.
Also CS4 pre-release on a MacPro with 10.5.5.

Very stable.

Tom

Thanks guys! Sounds great. Very much appreciated.

One program I forgot to mention was suitcase fusion, a necessity. That seems to run flawless here at home. One thing I just thought of, will CS4 ship with bugs and will it be stable enough to start out with on Nov. 7th? I guess i'll have to have CS2 installed anyway to perform the upgrade.

I have been using Leopard for a quite awhile now and got the bugs worked out and I love it. Although it runs faster with Intel, I have been using 10.5 with PPC G5 Dual and it still work good but a bit slower.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back