Is it ok to modify a Single colour Heidelberg GTO Offset for UV Printing ?

manishbjain

I am planning to buy a used GTO (after a lot of research and exploring on various technologies from Flexo to Digital) for our label production considering the budget we have as a startup. But most of our jobs are on metallised papers and so I would require to modify the machine for UV Printing as in I would need to change the rollers and stuff for UV and also add a UV Curing station. Also, most of our Jobs are 4 color CMYK jobs , So I would need to run 4 Passes. So a few queries -

1. Am I doing right ?
2. Would I get the registration with 4 Passes , might be 5 if I need white too ?
3. Would I get the quality with the machine that dates back to the 80's ?
4. Any other Cautions that I should be aware of ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lets take a look at the problems . . . (I might be wrong but . . .)

1. Good question . . .
2.a You would have to be sure to use a "cold" UV cure system
2. With a cold UV it could be but doubtful in my opinion
3. Depends on the care and feeding of the press since th 80's
4. If your planning on running 4/c primarily I'd look at more colors in the press, like a 4 or 5 color . . . but that would dramatically increase your UV system cost but would make all your other problems diminish

I've been following your other posts and you might be trying to reach a goal that is out of your financial and printing knowledge's reach, based upon your other questions . . . I was looking around the other day and there are multi-color flexo presses out there in the 50,000 range . . . that might be your best shot . . but then again the press is just the start of your investment in the process . . .

Good Luck

dabob - Thanks. I would want to go with a flexo or digital but at the second stage. However, Can you share me the link to those good flexo in the 50000 range. What is Cold UV. Not much has been heard of anything like that. I am aware of UV and LED UV.

You are competing against the digital age and four passes through the GTO. I am rooting for you, even prayer, but methimks you possibly could be up against it in this terribly warped world of non-craftsmanship and easier lesser techniques. I want you to WIN. but this world is spinning in an awkward direction. God bless you sir and your efforts, Sincerely

D

You are competing against the digital age and four passes through the GTO. I am rooting for you, even prayer, but methimks you possibly could be up against it in this terribly warped world of non-craftsmanship and easier lesser techniques. I want you to WIN. but this world is spinning in an awkward direction. God bless you sir and your efforts, Sincerely

D
D Ink Man - So What direction do you suggest ?

Try it sir and see if you can make it profitable. In your region perhaps the market is one of such that it could work. Maybe my statement was more of one that applies for the US. Very few would try this endeavor here now. Good luck.

D

manishbjain . . . what is the budget for this project, and what equipment do you currently have in pre press - plating departments . . . this would make us be able to give you better answers

manishbjain . . . what is the budget for this project, and what equipment do you currently have in pre press - plating departments . . . this would make us be able to give you better answers

Around say 20K .. As for plates , I would get them from other plate makers.

You can try with offset inks for non absorbent substrates without the need of UV dryer, I know its a very slow process, you need to wait for at least 4 hours to run the next color but it works.
Many printers in Pakistan are doing the same and producing good results.

You can try with offset inks for non absorbent substrates without the need of UV dryer, I know its a very slow process, you need to wait for at least 4 hours to run the next color but it works.
Many printers in Pakistan are doing the same and producing good results.

I guess you are talking about Plasto Inks. I know there are a lot of people doing that, even here. But the problem is that it is a very tedious process as in you should pile smaller stacks of sheets after printing and also thermal lamination is a must otherwise the inks come off. Even after that , the output is as good as what you get with UV inks.

You are right but in many applications it is still useful. Thermal lamination is not necessary if you use right inks and right substrate with correct surface tension.

We used to print bottle labels on a silver mylar laminated label stock . . . hard dry inks, double hit white on parts of it but the rest had an almost iridescent look to the colors. We did it on a 2/c speedmaster for the wihite and a 4/c speedmaster for the color work . . . it was a bit of a job but looked fantastic. -but on a one color GTO????? I see nothing but fit problems especially if manish only has film if he only has a camera . . . oh boy . . .

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back