Is it possible to achieve result like the label attached in screen printing.

manishbjain

Please find attached herewith an image of a label thats actually printed in flexo. I would like to know if the same thing is achievable in screen printing and If yes, Can it be achieved using only two special colours (Red and Black - both Half tones) . Its printed on a metallised film.

Attachments

• IMG_20161101_001513.jpg
    IMG_20161101_001513.jpg
    758.3 KB · Views: 274
Assuming the label is small, say 3 to 4 centimeters, I'll say Flexo is a MUCH better choice.
The subtle Black gradients (representing the diamonds' surfaces) are going to "suffer badly" from lower LPI.

Assuming the label is small, say 3 to 4 centimeters, I'll say Flexo is a MUCH better choice.
The subtle Black gradients (representing the diamonds' surfaces) are going to "suffer badly" from lower LPI.

Is it not possible to achieve higher LPI with Screen Printing.

For commercial printing most silk screen printers will balk at any screen ruling higher than 80 LPI, even on small sizes (like A3 size).
I believe modern flexo printing can handle double that LPI.

It is possible to print using screen technology. You can potentially receive greater density and durability, but as mentioned above; it is different technology and your res/lpi is limited. You would also have to purchase screens over plates. But the big question is: Why change unless the label is not meeting performance standards? Go back to the customer and ask "why the interest in screen?"

To generalize, I would say that screen printing for labels will be viable mainly for printing "flat" solid colors, where opaque inks will be frequently used.
Obtaining color shades by using tints is an option, but the coarser appearance of such screened areas, because of low LPI, may be aesthetically objectionable to many customers.
Bear in mind that small labels will generally be viewed closely.

To generalize, I would say that screen printing for labels will be viable mainly for printing "flat" solid colors, where opaque inks will be frequently used.
Obtaining color shades by using tints is an option, but the coarser appearance of such screened areas, because of low LPI, may be aesthetically objectionable to many customers.
Bear in mind that small labels will generally be viewed closely.

Yes Higher LPI is 100 percent required coz it would be viewed closely and no compromise in quality would be accepted by the customer.

The answer to WHY is (Stephen has already answered though) - These labels are outsourced to another printer with flexo press but he is not reliable with respect to the delivery and We cannot afford to buy a flexo press at the moment. So somewhere we have to start and screen printing setup is the only option and I have attended a couple of workshops and the versatility the screen printing offers has amazed me always. So just wanna start with it and see If I can do the labels like these in screen printing too.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back