IT8.7.4 reference file for Profilemaker Measure tool

edzio

Hi All. This is my first post. I am trying to locate a reference (.txt) file for an IT8.7.4R color chart for use with the Measure Tool in ProfileMaker. I've searched quite a lot but have come up empty. We are trying to get up to GRACoL standards with our workflow and this seems to be the chart used on the calibration form provided by IDEalliance. If I can't come up with anything can I use the ECI2002R chart in place of the IT8.7.4 chart they provided assuming that the measurement numbers are the same? Thanks for any help you can give.

Write me off-list

Write me off-list

Hi "edzio",

Contact me off-list and I'll send it to you.

You know that you COULD simply download the free X-Rite ColorPort utility and use that to create your charts. Besides the usual testcharts, you can create a testchart of the IT8.7/4 in both visual and random layouts for virtually any instrument, any X-Rite/Gretagbmacbeth instrument that is. And of course you can use ColorPort to measure the chart as well and export the data in a number of formats, including ProfileMaker 5 format (spectral+XYZ+LAB).

Only a couple of minor shortcomings with ColorPort vs. Measure Tool:
* Doesn't offer a "Compare" tool.
* No data "Averaging" tool either.
* While you can peek at the spectral/colorimetry/density information of the measured target, it's only on a per-patch basis...you can't open previous measurement data and you can't view dot gain or gradation curves. (None of this is a big deal if you have Measure Tool since you can export the ColorPort PM5 format file and open it in Measure Tool for a look-see at this data).
* One NICE thing about Measure Tool vs. ColorPort if you own an iSis spectro is that you can capture both UVcut and No Filter measurements in a single pass through the iSis....with ColorPort you must measure the chart twice, choosing the other filter for the second pass. Minor maybe to some but it's a feature I use often with Measure Tool and the iSis.

So ColorPort isn't nearly as complete a tool as Measure Tool....but it's free and provides more than enough functionality for creating charts (custom charts also) and measuring them....and ColorPort is infinitely more "hackable" compared to Measure Tool. With ColorPort you can get under the hood and change some of it's defaults for patche sizes, chart/page lengths, etc. I've already created charts for my DTP70 and iSis that were upwards of 24" long.

Anyway, if you need the Measure Tool reference file for the IT8.7/4, feel free to contact me and I'll get it to you.

Regards,
Terry Wyse

Measure Tool

Measure Tool

Measure Tool is also a free download. You CAN still use it to measure charts if you have a spectro even if you don't have PMP dongle.

sources for reference files and targets

sources for reference files and targets

ProfileMaker 5.0.9 includes reference files for the IT8.7/4 as well as the idealliance control bar. Or you could go to the source itself... Idealliance has a hybrid DTP70/iSis target and the appropriate reference files for MeasureTool or ColorPort.

You could also download the Hybrid IT874 files for the Isis/DTP-70 at IDEAlliance or for that matter use the Gracol/Swop characterization data available at the same location as the reference file when measuring in MeasureTool. You'd want to first open up the text files in MeasureTool and sort them to random order layout, then save them with a unique name.

The official IT874 files are located here: TOOLS
However, there doesn't appear to be a usable reference file included (one that doesn't require massaging for either MeasureTool or Colorport to recognize)....baffling.

Baffling, but not surprising. There isn't one for the ISO 12647-7 control bar either. Not the last time I looked, anyway.

Is the reference file solely for the position of the patches or is it also a reference for the LAB values? I was able to download some .csv files for the IT8.7.4 color chart but none of them have LAB values assigned. It seems like they are for entering LAB values. I was under the impression that there are default LAB values that are supposed to be assigned to each patch. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks

short story: can someone post or email me the reference file for IT8.7-4 visual target.

long story: two IT8.7-4 Random targets made and read in ColorPort. They get averaged in ProfilemakerPro's MeasureTool (where they change to visual format) and gets saved into Profilemaker's measurements/printer directory and brought into Profilemaker as seen in the attached. Now, why isn't there a reference file in Profilemaker Pro 5.10 to match this set of measurements?

thanks,
Roger at JSMcCarthy dot com

Attachments

• ProfileMaker001.pdf
    175.9 KB · Views: 379
Is the reference file solely for the position of the patches or is it also a reference for the LAB values? I was able to download some .csv files for the IT8.7.4 color chart but none of them have LAB values assigned. It seems like they are for entering LAB values. I was under the impression that there are default LAB values that are supposed to be assigned to each patch. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks

For a testchart reference file, how or why would there be any LAB values? A testchart reference file is simply *device* values (RGB or CMYK) that you send to the device you want to characterize...and then GET the LAB values. What you're describing is more like a characterization data set....bottom line, there's no such thing as default LAB values for an output testchart.

The ONLY time you'll see "default" LAB values in a reference file is if it happens to be a reference file for a *scanner* (input) profiling target. In the case of a scanner target, you start with known LAB values and then discover what the RGB device values are once you scan the target.....but that's the opposite of any other type of monitor or printer profiling target.

Terry

Hi. I think this is what you need .
In 2 seconds with Colortoolbox 10 from Heidelberg i exported all the data .
Forget that software . . . Choose the pro tool .

All the Best
Padrao

Attachments

• IT8 7-4 R_2011_05_02_T16_53.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 517
  • IT8.7.4RANDON.txt
    120.9 KB · Views: 386
Hi Padrao, that data file is for Random target...do you have the visual data file? thanks, Roger

Here are . . .

Here are . . .

Here you have the extracted data from profile do visual .

All the Best

Attachments

• IT8.7.4_VISUAL.txt
    120.9 KB · Views: 317
  • IT8.7.4_VISUAL_2011_05_02_T20_42.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 378
Hi Padrao,

the visual data file comes in odd in Profilemaker...like it's rotated 90 degrees...see attached.

Roger

Attachments

• ProfileMaker001.pdf
    183.1 KB · Views: 310
It8 r4

It8 r4

Hi Roger .
I open the same file i send to you and its ok on colortoolbox, maybe the problem is with Profilemaker 5.

The other file opened ok, the random file .

Heidelberg writes the header information differently than MeasureTool wants/expects.

Here, is this what you want?

Attachments

• IT874V_Ref-Final.txt
    52.2 KB · Views: 318

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back