junior pre-press operator_why?

hi all

I had a call from a large printing company if i know of a junior pre-press operator for their pre-press
department. I know they produce good quality work and big accounts. my question: why would you use a junior to handle such big accounts in pre press as oppose to a suitably qualified operator?

My take is they want someone to train properly, who is not "spoiled" and does not have burden of "old world" with it's bad habits.
Younger person is usually easier to train and you can "carve" really good operator with little talent to start with.

Good point, Zoran. Perhaps their last junior operator moved up and that's where the opening is.

WARNING: THIS IS A RANT
I guarantee the only thing junior will be the job-title and the paycheck not the responsibilities or expectations. It's a load of crap that so many younger operators get paid a near fast-food wage when they are more productive, more knowledgable, proactive and easier to get along with. I'm young (<25) but i've been doing this for 8 years now and I am just now finally feel like I'm getting somewhere near my deserved performance/responsibility pay-grade. I've worked with many "senior" operators who's only seniority is being senile, out-of-touch with the technology they use (sometimes absolutely clueless) and having a bad attitude.

Not all tasks require a senior operator. We have a junior to fill in when we are backlogged on work. To help out with the small stuff like sending proofs, sending plates, doing business cards. Really helps.

p

@Chevalier
I don't know you or your situation but I could not agree less. In my experience, It's the "seniors" that have paved the way for the youngsters to come in and make any kind of money. It used to be where you had apprentice for a number of years before you earned starting wage. Who knows if the young operators would relax and listen they may just learn something.

Warning: This is only partially serious

Warning: This is only partially serious

Yeah, but the New Guys have it easier too. It's all push the "Easy Button", make a crappy PDF and walk away. We all know there's no skill or "art" left in the business.

chevalier: Who trained you, or is all of your immense knowledge gleaned from years of exhaustive research and trial & error?

I haven't been in this line of work half as long as some of the people here, but I'll tell you this: If you're in it to get rich then it's best to just move on to something else now & save yourself the inevitable heartache.

Surely there are some good old timers and bad new starts. Conversely the opposite can also be said

It's about attitude to learning and doesn't matter if you are young or old.
I've worked with all four kinds!

Yeah, Ive got to agree with SlaveTotheman. There may be a couple junoir operators that are better than the seniors, but that aint the norm. Its been awhile since I was a pressman, I dont even have them in the shop im at now, but its experience that makes a good pressman. By the way printers arent presses. Stick that word on a color printer all day long, I dont care it aint a press. Nexpress or Igen it isnt a press because there is no mechanical pressing function.

I am in the process right now looking for a strong prepress tech and it seams that there are no young ones out there. I did hire a couple young prepress people recently that I hope can become a strong prepress techs over time, but it could take years. There is a lot to learn.

look at hiring prepress techs out of quality printing/ Graphic Communications programs like Clemson University, RIT or Cal Poly. Students from those programs usually have the skills to hit the ground running if they receive good training. Honestly, our Clemson graduates are as good, if not better than our 15+ year veterans.

On the other hand you have legions of "technical school" graduates who just spent big money and 2 years making pretty layouts but wonder why their RGB, multi-transparancy layouts can't print right. I mean, they print out on their home inkjet no problem!

Personally, I prefer the more apprentice style of occupational education. In my experience the junior/senior tech (and press operator) system works well. Learning by doing > reading a pamphlet.

Perhaps I haven't had the experience of working with many operators who share my passion for the work. If I were looking to get rich I definitely wouldn't have gotten into printing but I strongly believe in an honest wage for honest work.

I apologize for the negativity.

Munsell,

You left out the program at Appalachian State University

On the other hand you have legions of "technical school" graduates who just spent big money and 2 years making pretty layouts but wonder why their RGB, multi-transparancy layouts can't print right. I mean, they print out on their home inkjet no problem!

Personally, I prefer the more apprentice style of occupational education. In my experience the junior/senior tech (and press operator) system works well. Learning by doing > reading a pamphlet.

I've seen many people in my own age group as you describe but I've also seen many people who went the other route and have decades of experience but don't have a clue beyond the end of their nose because they only learned what they needed to at the moment and refuse to read anything.

With client supplying jobs that are never ready to print, with diecuts backwards, RGB, no bleeds, wrong roll fold panels (and is just the beginning) the job of pre-press operator has never been so important like now. We are paid peanuts, asked long hours and lot of responsibility. We need to have eyes on the back of our heads. What more do you want from us. Waste time trying to teach absolute useless apprentice people the job? Teaching people paid even less than us, who have no absolute clue how this work got to be done, taking the blame is something goes wrong because "you should check their jobs"? What else! Stick a broom up our @@# and sweep the floor while working? No way. Sorry for the rant!

look at hiring prepress techs out of quality printing/ Graphic Communications programs like Clemson University, RIT or Cal Poly. Students from those programs usually have the skills to hit the ground running if they receive good training. Honestly, our Clemson graduates are as good, if not better than our 15+ year veterans.

I dont know how your company even exist then.

Just an observation . . . . how do you become a "senior operator" . . . is it an accident of birth or just possibly did you start out as a junior operator . . . .

Just an observation . . . . how do you become a "senior operator" . . . is it an accident of birth or just possibly did you start out as a junior operator . . . .

Fair enough, but we "oldies" started on the bench, stripping films and making coffee for the "elders". When started the computer era, there was nobody who knew what to do. No teachers, just experience and guts! How do you teach that? They have to come to us with some experience. Can't fix client errors if you are one who makes the same mistakes.

Haha! Love it! Prepress as it is. :D

With client supplying jobs that are never ready to print, with diecuts backwards, RGB, no bleeds, wrong roll fold panels (and is just the beginning) the job of pre-press operator has never been so important like now. We are paid peanuts, asked long hours and lot of responsibility. We need to have eyes on the back of our heads. What more do you want from us. Waste time trying to teach absolute useless apprentice people the job? Teaching people paid even less than us, who have no absolute clue how this work got to be done, taking the blame is something goes wrong because "you should check their jobs"? What else! Stick a broom up our @@# and sweep the floor while working? No way. Sorry for the rant!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back