KM 6501 skew problems

Stick Man

Hey guys, I did a search and couldnt find what I was looking for. Or maybe my search criteria wasnt right.
Im having a lot of problems with our KM 6501. Now let me start by saying we always try to run digital specific paper. Ok, now, It always prints the first side crooked. Now, when I say crooked, I mean sometimes its an 1/8 of an inch crooked. It doesnt matter what tray you use either. We have the high capacity tray also, and that prints the worse. We have had a few techs out here, and only one knew of any way to try and make anything any better, by adjusting the line up of the actual tray, (tray 4, or high cap. tray)
Sometimes when you run some, its dead nuts on the money, and then all of a sudden, it starts moving around really bad. Now I know that +/- 1 mm is supposedly the norm on holding register, but I was thinking that was holding that square, not on skew. Im having a really hard time here, because a lot of the work I get for this thing has bleeds and folds on bleeds. Am I asking too much from this thing? If so, thats fine, but man, I didnt think it would be this bad. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Shane.

I wish I had some good advice for you, but I don't, except to stop the payments until it's taken care of. I am a small commercial printer tat just started considering digital, so I am glad you posted this.

Doesn't this model register the sheets?

Al

Last edited:
I wish I had some good advice for you, but I don't, except to stop the payments until it's taken care of. I am a small commercial printer tat just started considering digital, so I am glad you posted this.

Doesn't this model register the sheets?

Al

????!?!???!? ??!? ?!?!? ???!?!!! ??!?? !??

1. The machine is level (i.e not sitting on some shag pile carpet).

2. The image is skewed on all four sides as if the image is square it self but not on the sheet. For example the short edge is not skew but the long edges are.

3. You have tried the chart adjustment.

It means that unless you can come up with a reasonable explanation, I am suddenly less interested in the KM 6501.

Al

Here is my suggestion, don't buy one. You sound like the perfect candidate to stick with what your doing. You will never be satisfied with digital output regardless of who makes it.

Those who can see the benefits from the compromises will succeed while you will wither and die. Welcome to the beginning of the end.

But hey, go for the Xerox, it will prove that like poles attract.

Yes, the machine is level. The guys that installed, or delivered you might say, checked it before they left. Also, when the guys came out to do the training course, one of them checked it also.

It is skewed only on one end. It is usually skewed on only one side, the first side that gets printed on. When you measure the cut marks, on one end it will be good, then you slide down to the tail of the sheet, and it will be off. I hope this makes sense.

I havent checked the chart adjustments, I do not know how. I printed off something from someone else, but got a little confused on how to do it. I also asked one of the techs that came out about the chart adjustments, and he had no clue as to what I was talking about, lol.
Im sorry for the ignorance about this. I have a Heidelberg background, and now Im in management trying to help our shop expand into the digital realm.

Mr. Al. Dont let my problems scare you away from the KM 6501. This is something Im sure can be fixed with the right know how, and obviously I dont have it, lol. We absolutely love this machine. It is a great piece of machinery, I just have to figure out this little quirk im having.

I have to agree with Al, or to correct your statement, "those who can see the benefits (of Xerox technology) from the compromises (of price) will succeed"

Xerox image quality...2400x2400 dpi, trickle charge developer...fantastic sweeps, halftones, consistency and quality...and our machine can even be a tilted on a shag carpet and not skew an image...(does the toner slide to one side but maintain images, just slanted??? I am still scratching my head on that one)

GregNac19 (and your other user names),

sad to see an authorized Xerox rep resort to hijacking threads that have nothing to with Xerox solely to plug their product. Business must be slow, eh? No wonder.

Last edited:

sad to see an authorized Xerox rep resort to hijacking threads that have nothing to with Xerox solely to plug their product. Business must be slow, eh? No wonder.

Agree, If you don't have VALID answers or suggestions.... don't post.

I have one name and you can look at every post I have made. I am just on this site to help people filter through all the garbage. I did not plug any product on this thread.
If someone has questions or product I like to help.
If I sat here and spewed manure about your print shop would you not want to retort?
That's where I am coming from.

Stick Man's original post is about the QM 6501. How does asking Xerox users about their image quality help to keep this thread focussed on the original problem?

Al

Stick Man's original post is about the QM 6501. How does asking Xerox users about their image quality help to keep this thread focussed on the original problem?

Al

It has nothing to do with original question. I just heard the Xerox name called and reacted.

Yes, the machine is level. The guys that installed, or delivered you might say, checked it before they left. Also, when the guys came out to do the training course, one of them checked it also.

It is skewed only on one end. It is usually skewed on only one side, the first side that gets printed on. When you measure the cut marks, on one end it will be good, then you slide down to the tail of the sheet, and it will be off. I hope this makes sense.

I havent checked the chart adjustments, I do not know how. I printed off something from someone else, but got a little confused on how to do it. I also asked one of the techs that came out about the chart adjustments, and he had no clue as to what I was talking about, lol.
Im sorry for the ignorance about this. I have a Heidelberg background, and now Im in management trying to help our shop expand into the digital realm.

Mr. Al. Dont let my problems scare you away from the KM 6501. This is something Im sure can be fixed with the right know how, and obviously I dont have it, lol. We absolutely love this machine. It is a great piece of machinery, I just have to figure out this little quirk im having.

The chart adjustment will resolve your issues.
take the time, it is a bit weird but once you go through the steps it works.
You can also use the Tray Alignment feature in the Fiery.

There are many advanced settings to compensate for skew.

Now you beginning of the post sounds more like a reigistraion issue.
If the registration is a gradual, kind of like a wave effect, you are NOT loading the paper correctly.
If the registration suddenly takes a big jump, runs accurately, then jumps again. You need the sensors cleaned. Have your tech show the proceedure, it is simple. this is from paper dust and offset spray from pre printed materials.

Have you also tried lessening the registration loop?

I apologize, I will crawl back in where i came from, i just felt that the Konica rep attacked Al and threw Xerox in the mix...My humble apologies to all, please continue with the constructive conversation. I will be more careful moving forward.

If the tail of the sheet is square and the lead edge is square and the sides are skewed you need to tell your tech to do the "CD Skew Adjustment". I mention the level floor because the PF unit is hevay piece of kit and as you know is bolted onto the side of the engine. If these are out of whack with each other the you will get skew. Other manufactuers may have lighter PF units so don't see this problem.

Personally I think digital prophet (only a xeriod could call him self that) and GregNac19 should be banned. They are forever hijacking threads with there marketing dribble.

If the tail of the sheet is square and the lead edge is square and the sides are skewed you need to tell your tech to do the "CD Skew Adjustment". I mention the level floor because the PF unit is hevay piece of kit and as you know is bolted onto the side of the engine. If these are out of whack with each other the you will get skew. Other manufactuers may have lighter PF units so don't see this problem.

Personally I think digital prophet (only a xeriod could call him self that) and GregNac19 should be banned. They are forever hijacking threads with there marketing dribble.

You are a waste of my time Ubertech. I believe it says on the top of the screen "learn, teach, debate"
YOU JUST CANT STAND DEBATE!!!!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back