KM 6501or Xerox DC5000

bompi

I was IPEX, and I have evaluated several machines. I was focused on the KM6501 for its excellent print quality, and given that we should print the photo books seemed excellent. But now back dall'IPEX are making me very attractive offers and Xerox DC5000 offered me his half of KM6501.
Now I would like some advice from those more expert advice on what to choose according to the work that I do.

I have 2 DC5000AP's and a X700 from Xerox Direct.

I like the DC5000's for their stability and registration/paper handling. If you are working in the photo market, the only concern I'd have is to keep a very close eye on the oiler for the fuser. Other than that, we run about 80-120K between Service Calls (12x18 clicks).

The Xerox 700/800/1000 are more geared to the photo market.
The Imaging quality on all three is great and there is no fuser oil so that problem is solved.
The drawbacks as I see them are:
X700 - A Lot more plastic, not able to duplex 100# CVR, looser registration.
X800/1000 - Price, Size, Power Required, Price. (And did I mention Price?)

The X700 is a great box just don't expect perfect registration. It also slows down based on paper weight unlike the DC5000AP's (80# Gloss Text: 22 12x18 sides/min on X700 vs. 25 12x18 sides/min on DC5000AP -- Heavier the paper the larger the speed reduction.)

I've run 180,000 12x18's in a month and while I wouldn't do it month in-month out, it handled it well and really didn't give too much grief.

I you are planning to do high coverage on large paper you really need to stick with either KMBS or Xerox Direct. I know the prices are likely to be a bit more then local dealers, but it's worth it. Here's why: We print magazines, and a ton of 'em. Coverage average is like 23%/color and thats based on a 12x18 sheet. We had our first X700 from a Global Imaging Dealer and not Xerox Direct. They stopped sending toner due to the fact, as they claim, that they were losing money on every page printed. We had to get a lawyer just to get enough toner to move over to Xerox Direct. Between upgraded shipping (caused by delays in printing from no toner) and legal fees, we paid about $4,500 in a two month period that we shouldn't have. Add that into the Global Imaging contract and it cost far more expensive than paying a bit higher on the Xerox Direct contract.

Just my thoughts, hope they help.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back