KM1200 running 40 gsm (12 lb) bond?

kiwiHawk

Hello all,

Has anyone had any luck running 40 gsm (12 lb) bond through Konica Minolta's PRO 1200 (or any other production copier)? If so, is there one brand that runs better than another?

Thanks

An Oce 6XXX line can almost do 12lb reliably. There are a couple companies making "13lb" that is of 13lb bond caliper but 16lb weight. That helps out.

The Oce is nice because of two things, low drum temperature, and single pass printing.

BTW, what's your application?

40 gsm

40 gsm

Have you found one brand of 40 gsm to work better than another?

We are using a KM bizhub PRO 1200. Right now we are just testing the application for a potential customer & can't seem to get it to run reliably.

I run that stock all day on my copier all day
with no problems.

I think your problem has to do with fuser.

call your paper companies and see what they spec and get samples

Thanks, we're running the fuser temp as low as possible. I will contact our suppliers to see what they say. What make of 40gsm stock are you running with so successfully?

AS I STATED A DO A LOT OF 2 PART AND 3 PART SMALL RUNS.
I RUN EXCEL REVERSE. I DO BETWEEN 25 AND 35 JOBS PER WEEK. FROM RUNS OF 100 SETS TO UP TO 500 SET. ANYTHING OVER THAT I PUT ON THE PRESS. Good Luck

Have you found one brand of 40 gsm to work better than another?

We are using a KM bizhub PRO 1200. Right now we are just testing the application for a potential customer & can't seem to get it to run reliably.

It would help if you gave a bit more information about 'reliably'. Does it jam, crease, concertina not fuse, catch fire etc etc.

Hello UT,

No fires yet, but the day is young. The 1200 feeds the 40gsm fine for the first hundred or so prints & then it starts to jam in the fuser unit. The tech has reduced fuser temperature to it's lowest setting but there has not been a noticable improvement.

I have to as did you ask the tech to give you a list of paper that can run with your machine.
And are you running laser safe paper.
I have to Bizhub c250 and I can't run the paper through it even with the fuser temp being lowered.
The paper gets such a curl. I can it sometimes through the bypass but that's it.
Also why not look at a older model color printer or copier.( are you doing color or b/w).
My gut feeling is your wasting your time. there is no way to stop the curl.

Good Luck Rob

Have any of you guys printing 40gsm - 50gsm thought about Riso / Duplo ? Riso in particular ..

Yeah I've tried it. It will technically run, but results are very, very bad even starting at 60gsm. The ink bleeds straight through to the other side.

I've seen a lot of people running that gsm through them. A lot of prescription drug manufacturers use them to print the 'instructions' on 50 gsm. You could use the HD ink and reduce the density setting?

40 gsm

40 gsm

We have a fairly high volume application. KM is working to help us with the issue & we expect to get an answer back in the next couple of months.

Ah well good look with it. Obviously a Riso is a 2 grand piece of kit, so that's what 5% of a KM production machine? The quality differential is clear. Not sure if Xerox would be worth a call ref IGEN or Oce do a few capable models, well so they claim :)

Cheers

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back