Konica Minolta UK nasty business practices

overscan

Our experiences attempting to buy a km8000 in the UK have been interesting to say the least. We'd previously looked at a 65hc which we were quite tempted with but were immediately taken by the km8000 as it seems like it will do everything we need to move our business forwards. So we booked a demo at ipex. We already had finance in place so we were in a great position to do a deal (subject to testing). The demo wasn't quite what we had in kind as not a single sheet of paper passed through the machine, but any deal was subject to testing so we chatted to Jason White, our KM rep. He quoted a price over £100k. I said it would have to be below 6 figures and he agreed that would be possible.

We also had an appointment to see Danwood at ipex. We didn't even realise they were KM authorised dealers. Anyway they visit us after ipex and come in with a figure of about £85k. A few days later our KM rep pops in with his boss and gives us a firm quote which is way way above the price mentioned at ipex. Apparently there would be no negotiation. We mentioned Danwood but they said they weren't interested in giving a better price.... and also added that only KM direct and Danwood were authorised to sell the km8000 in the UK.

Anyway we're just at the point of signing with Danwood when another KM dealer calls us to chat about the km8000. We of course wonder what on earth he's on about as KM have told us that he can't sell us that machine. This new dealer gives us a quote undercutting Danwood and also give us contact details for their account manager within KM. The KM account manager confirms that this dealer is authorised to sell the machine and also mentions that our KM sales rep and his boss knew this. All this leads me to believe that KM and Danwood had lied to us and KM made a decision to give us a silly quote so that we went with Danwood. Doubtless they probably played the game the other way around with the next customer.

So, we go with the other dealer and sign a deal subject to testing.

Months pass... we stay in regular contact with our dealer an there is absolutely no news... until KM phone us and invite us to come and play with a new km8000 at Baker Street on 17th November. We tell them that we've got a machine on order from our dealer and have been waiting to have a proper look... no problem as far as they are concerned. We immediately RSVP and get a confirmation email back. I do of course get on the phone to our dealer and even chat about him coming along too.

Next day a phone call from KM. We're uninviting you. You're not a KM customer. You can't come and play with our new km8000.

So... make of that what you will. A story of dishonesty and illegal business practice. I wont mention the name of the dealer we're trying to buy from as they've been nothing but honest from the start.

konica UK

konica UK

So what price were you quoted for the 8000, we have a meeting tommorow with the reps, and they're banding around figures like £150K

Well, the Danwood price was based on the most basic spec possible. Large capacity feeder and stacker at the output end. I can't tell you what we're paying from our dealer, but if that price is for a basic machine they're having a laugh. Shop around, and don't take any nonsense about who they say can sell it to you.

... oh and don't forget to have your magic marker ready when they show you the service contract. Make sure you get them to remove anything that looks remotely dodgy!

konica 8000

konica 8000

That price was for the basic spec!

This problem isn't just with KM, to be honest we vowed as a company never to venture into digital again, our last deal was with Xerox and it nearly closed the doors on our business.

Anyway, here we are again, thanks for the advice but after having our fingers burnt seriously on the last digital deal we'll be off quick as a flash if we get a sniff of any funny business.

Evening all,

Another printer in the uk talking to KM (and dealers) about this machine.

We've not got far enough down the line in negotiations on an 8000 to comment on prices etc, however were also considering a visit to their London dem in November.

Would be interested to hear which dealer your talking to if you wouldn't mind PMing?

This sickens me! The whole buying process of digital presses just smacks of corruption. The fact you have to negotiate tirelessly for the best price....click rate...blah blah blah, then there's the T&C's that have to be scanned with a fine tooth comb. Then there's the finance - another mine field.
Once you have bought the press it loses 50% of its value in the 1st month....by which time your sales rep will have disappeared and moved onto the next victim

There should be more transparency with regards to pricing and performance....even the trade journals steer clear of giving reliable reviews as they rely on the advertising revenue...

Will now get off my soap box ..

Anyone else had the KM mailer through this morning?

Yup... we got THREE through this morning to attend the event that we were told we could not come to?!?!? Tried phoning the advertised 0800 number to ask WTF they were up to only the 0800 appeared to be dead.

Beginning of a happy ending?

Beginning of a happy ending?

Well looks like there might be a happy ending to this story. Had a call from a chap at KM and had a productive chat about our issues. Anyway... end result is an afternoon with the 8000 at Baker Street. Will keep you posted!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back