Layering AI files

nevermore44

Quick layering question in regards to Illustrator and transparency of placed images.

In illustratrator we have a PSD placed. It is of a soccor ball with a transparent background. No clipping paths. The PSD is partially placed on top of vector objects (outlined text) in illustrator.

The printer has noted that they are having "issues" in the RIP of the areas where the transparent portion overlaps the vector portion. If the printer is having issues as it is currently stacked...

--- would this be that they have an older RIP that can't handle transparency?

--- or is this an across the board issue with transparency layering for most printers?

Thanks

Wouldn't it just be safer to create a clipping path in Photoshop for the Soccer Ball and avoid the problem together?

I know I'm ignoring the problem :D but that should work.

Try:

Build yourself a Custom Transparency Flattener Preset.
Put the Line Art and Text Resolution at the resolution of the Platesetter (2540)
Put the Gradient and Mesh resolution at half that (1270) (635 would probably work)
Raster Vector Balance to 100

Make your PDF from Illustrator or InDesign with this Flattener Preset
at PDF 1.3 (Acrobat 4)

MSD

Usually transparency is an issue for most printers. If your image is transparent over items that are not pantones they should be able to work with it. We usually get a PDF and make sure everything is CMYK and then print it to a new PDF with Adobe PDF printer with all our settings to have no compression (or minimal) and it fixes the transparency. If you must have spots you may want to work with a clipping path as previously recommended. We have usually been able to fix most transparency issues in house, but it may cost you for them to do this. Hope you get it working.

Usually transparency is an issue for most printers.
SNIP

How can you say that

If the printer has an up to date workflow transparency is not an issue.

Also-

If the PDF file is saved as an older version (with trans flattened 1.3 or below) then the person that is doing the saving is the problem.
Choose 1.4 or above and transparency is not an issue.

-

-

So if the printer has an up-to date workflow, the above listed structure shouldn't be an issue technically?

Obviously bringing all the vector work to the front that doesn't need to interact with any transparency is best... but even if it wasn't... the printer should still be able to render it... correct?

Generally speaking yes
Transparency was an issue until True Adobe Rips started making there rounds.
Ask the printer what rip they are using.
Is it capable of handling transparency without problems?
They will eventually admit they have been looking at upgrading.

Most issues related to transparency are due to poor colour management. Also check your Document raster effect settings.
Could you please clarify the issues. Are they to do with resolution of transparent object or colur shifts, I guess that question does lead you to where the issue is.

I agree with Lukas we need more imput to be able to pinpoint the problem.

I see you talking of an image with dropshadow in 1 image and placed into Illu, there you wil have ann other issiu i think, becourse in moste cases the drop shadow has t be in Multiply and the image in normal. So you wil have to split the image in 2, one for the soccer baal and 1 for the drop shadow.
This way you can deffign an other transparancy in Illu.

BTW suzyb1078, spot colors is perfectly possible in combo with CMYK as long you have the settings in Illu right.

-

-

Thanks for all the responses. I think i am all set though.

We are in contention with the printer about if our files were set up correctly or if they can't handle transparencies.

Basically they were getting pixelization on vector objects that had purely transparent PSD art on top. (we can't quickly change the layer order of the art without adding hours to the job because of the complexity)

So it came down to the flattener presets. This fixed the issue.

The example was just a hypothetical example.

Thanks again.

nevermore,
All CTs are bounded by a rectangular shape, by default. A clipping path creates a mask through which you can restrict the viewing, and ineractivity, of the CT. The scenario you describe is poor file construction.

In the situation you described, you cannot trap the type elements beneath the CT after the piece is flattened.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back