Lean without computers?

mattf

Is there anyway possible to reduce waste without the assistance and use of computers and computer specific programs? I'm dealing with a very "old fashioned" employee who does the scheduling for all jobs. His method is hang tag cards with job information on those while also having a small marker board with a schedule a week ahead. I've tried to show him multiple types of scheduling software that have a ton of automation within them, but it seems that he is very reluctant to even consider it.

The issue I've seen is he is keeping all these jobs in his head. He isn't using a computer as a tool for scheduling jobs. When he keeps all this information in his head, he's only able to handle a certain amount. Anything over and mistakes happen in the plant.

His method of work deals with a lot of hands on methods, and trying to bring him over to a computer based system that would do a lot of what he's doing automatically is almost alien to him. Has anyone experienced an individual they have worked with, potentially with the same type of position; scheduling jobs is management, who wouldn't give up their old paper system for a new way of thinking? What methods have you used in order to "maybe" create a system that is more efficient but is still manageable within the parameters of the employee? All advice is welcome.

Lean without computers?

Hi Mattf

I have been reading some of these posts once in a while but havn't really felt for replying. I thought that such a specific question as yours deserved an answer.

One of the types of waste is ofcourse waiting time - allocated to bottlenecks etc.. Another thing is inventories. Here is a way you can work with both types.

You can avoid any influence of computers if you introduce kanban cards in your planning which creates a pull effect. Either you can have it in a closed circuit dedicated for that employee specifically or you can introduce it in major scale in customer approved supermarkets. For me LEAN is also visual management. This is an easy boost for many employees in a traditional production environment.

Nothing is too complex in this term. I have seen advanced equipments to measure blood gasses been produced - meaning planned through all processes - solely by using kanban cards.

I hope you find my proposal usefull.

Best regards

Jesper

mattf,

Depending on your position in the company would determine if this idea would work. If you are the scheduling persons boss or above him in some way.

We had a similar situation in Pre-Press when we switched from Film to CTP. We trained our film strippers how to use the computer and do imposition digitally. Most everyone caught onto it but there were a couple that didn't. One of them switched to a different department and the other one quit.

You should realize that your company is only as strong as the weakest link. If that weak link is your scheduling system because it is not digital. It is time to move forward and remove the weak link.

mattf,

Depending on your position in the company would determine if this idea would work. If you are the scheduling persons boss or above him in some way.

We had a similar situation in Pre-Press when we switched from Film to CTP. We trained our film strippers how to use the computer and do imposition digitally. Most everyone caught onto it but there were a couple that didn't. One of them switched to a different department and the other one quit.

You should realize that your company is only as strong as the weakest link. If that weak link is your scheduling system because it is not digital. It is time to move forward and remove the weak link.

He is one of the weak links. Even though I am within management I can't get rid of him because he is one of the three individuals within the company with his name is on the building....

Jesper, I like your idea of Kanban cards. I've seen it done within inventory systems. I love the concept that even though you aren't tracking everything via computer, Wal-Mart is a great example of a company that DOES, at least there is a trigger to start the whole chain of events needed for re-ordering.

Kanban could work, I'm going to have to refresh my brain on the subject in order to fit it to the situation at hand. Thanks for the tip though.

Visual management is in many applications a computerless situation. However, it becomes a problem when looking far out into weeks and volume as you've noted with your current situation. A couple of things that might slide you into a computerized end state is to design a program that takes your orders (assuming you have some computerized ordering system), and outputs scheduling cards (Kanban) that makes your scheduler's job easier. These can then be used for far-out visual management scheduling, and printing his 'clipboard' list. Even Excel can perform much of this, although a poor multi-user solution. Access (uck) or FileMakerPro would be a better solution. It seems that a process of setting a goal of far-out capacity planning, having review meetings with measurable metrics for success (of the scheduler's learning/adopting) is in order. If you go the 'process route' and everyone agrees to be held accountable, you can work it from that direction.

After the first few steps, move to more automation. Remember that these things take time (probably months) to get working, to see benefits and get buy-in.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back