LG or SG for better registration?

RafalWM

I'm experimenting with the registration on SRA3 size paper using the bypass feeder. My printer is a Toshiba 5520C and it's been ok for the jobs I've been giving it. However the front to back registration is pretty bad even on lighter stock.

Have you guys had better front to back registration on long grain or short grain?

My unit won't duplex 300gsm stock and I have to run it through twice. From what I've seen, leaving it overnight and printing the next morning has given better results as oposed to feeding it right from the machine. Or was it just a coincidence? (I've only had this machine for a month and I haven't had a lot of time to test it)

I'm experimenting with the registration on SRA3 size paper using the bypass feeder. My printer is a Toshiba 5520C and it's been ok for the jobs I've been giving it. However the front to back registration is pretty bad even on lighter stock.

Have you guys had better front to back registration on long grain or short grain?

My unit won't duplex 300gsm stock and I have to run it through twice. From what I've seen, leaving it overnight and printing the next morning has given better results as oposed to feeding it right from the machine. Or was it just a coincidence? (I've only had this machine for a month and I haven't had a lot of time to test it)

Do you have a fiery controller for your copier? There should a tray alignment feature available to resolve the front to back registration problem.

I'd say short grain all the way and make sure you take out any leading edge curl before backing up. If you have a tray alignment feature, make sure you're using it effectively.

How are you imposing jobs? If you are doing it via ID then can spool first page, print first side, then print one of the second side, measure the differential, adjust in ID, respool and should line up if you measured properly. (Or if you have an Image Shift feature on the RIP can just use that!)

For good FTB reg consistency is king. Load the paper the same way, if you decurl it after side 1 make sure that is all done in small piles and ends up roughly the same.

thanks for all the answers :)

I'm imposing jobs in ID, but measuring the differential won't really do the job here because the prints aren't all moving the same usually. On some sheets it's a bit to one side, on others it's a bit above or below. There's also a little skew on some jobs, so it would be hard to get it done in ID. Although it might help out a bit I guess.

I don't have an external RIP, so my options are pretty limited on the machine.
The Toshiba tec guy is coming in on Monday and hopefull he'll resolve these issues because the unit is on a full contract.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back