Life of Trickle Charge Developer in dc 250

The developer it's included in the toner bottle, so that every time you change it you have fresh developer. It's a simple "trick" to have quality consistancy.

The developer it's included in the toner bottle, so that every time you change it you have fresh developer. It's a simple "trick" to have quality consistancy.

This is not true, as we have a DC250 which has the developer changed by our service tech every few months. Sorry OP, can't help you on your question however as I am unsure of the clicks between changes. Ours usually ends up being changed before the end of it's life anyway.

I had to have the dev replaced in my 240 once after the summer hols because it had aged and gone funny. That's the only time though, other than when the dev tanks themselves need replaced.

What sort of volume are you doing on the machine easiprint?

Our 250 does about 40,000 to 50,000 a month. We find that the dev tends to get contamination in it more than actually going bad. Probably because our workshop is more of a workshop than an office type environment so there are always bits floating about! :eek:

Last edited:
Unless someone from Xerox clarify the point, it's not sure if the developer it's included or not in the toner bottle....anyway, the developer it's not a CRU (Customer replaceble Unit)
I have many customers with DC240/250/242/252/260 and none of them has had problem with developer (I hardly know if someone has it changed by the tech in a five year lease...), many of them print about 5-10k pages/month.
If your machine has the "developer" changed every month or so, please check the CED and ask your dealer: maybe there's something not working well.

P.S.: in medium production machines like DC5000AP the developer has to be changed every 300.000 pages.

When I said every few months, in reality it is probably 5-6 months (time flies when you are busy!). Also, it is not all the developers. I don't think the yellow or cyan have been replaced in my dc250 whilst I have had it, but I know the magenta and black have been donw twice in the last couple of years. Always due to print quality issues that nothing else would resolve. I don't mind when it is replaced as I am on a service contract.

Developer IS included in toner. 100%. Read the following:
Trickle Development for Black and Color Images

The trickle development system is based on the principle that the life of the developer material is extended by continuously adding a small amount of fresh developer material to the developer system. A constant amount of developer material is maintained in the developer assembles at all times. The control logic continuously monitors the toner concentration. When the concentration drops below the control point (monitored by the ATC Sensor in each housing), control logic sends on-signals to the cartridge motors. The motors energize and rotate to add more toner (with a proportionate amount of new developer material) to the system. The cartridges dispense toner and developer material to the developer assemblies.

NOTE: The ATC Sensor monitors the magnetic permeability of the toner developer mixture to determine the density. As toner is added to the developer the magnetic permeability of the mixture decreases. When the magnetic permeability increases to a specified level, more toner is added. This is the process used to control toner concentration.

One of the augers in the Developer housing removes a small amout of developer material into the waste removal system. The developer is moved throught the system by augers to the waste toner bottle.

This operation results in a constant supply of new developer. Since the developer material is constantly being replenished, the change interval for the developer is greatly extended.
The main advantages of the trickle system are improved print quality, cleaner running xerographic systems and reduced maintenance.

Kalindd's post is entirely correct and covers how trickle charge works. Yes, to both questions: there is a developer assembly for each color and it does occasionally need replacing depending on your usage. And yes, there is developer in the toner, the trickle part of trickle charge, to continuously top-off the developer assembly. The small amount of developer that gets sent to the waste container may or may not be old developer, there is no way for the little auger that dumps it to differentiate, but a constant fresh supply is still very helpful.

To answer the original question, the developer material and assemblies are both "technically" rated for 1.5 MILLION prints. Of course YMMV due to your environment and printing patterns.

Incidentally, I have two of this model, and I have found them to be shockingly long-lived. Both of my machines have over 1.5mil on the meter (about 2/3 color 1/3 black on both machines) and of the C, M and Y developers, NONE have been replaced yet. (Neither the material nor the assembly itself.) The K on one machine is also original, but the K on another machine needed replacing. (Just the material, assembly was fine.)

And when with them being that old, I still get beautiful clean smooth screens. It must be my operating environment I figure. San Francisco gots the good weather! Not too dry, not too humid, and never hot so no need for a moisture-sucking A/C to be running. (Xerographics do like a certain degree of humidity for the process to work best. Just not too much.)

FYI for nerds like me who care... A fresh supply of developer is about 420g in each color. The developer to toner ratio in the DEVELOPER mix is about 90% carrier, 10% toner. The ratio in the TONER is about the opposite, 90% toner, 10% carrier. Both are approximates.

developer comes in the same toner cartridge for the DC240/250/242/252/260, X550/560, X700

every time you change a toner cartridge, you are putting fresh developer in the machine.

i know all the things...

i replaced New IBT Belt, all 4 drum Units... but print is not smooth as before...
35% light cyan print come like Clouds in the sky... on the paper

click only 200k in 6 months... 3 Toner set Per month

may be 1st BTR Roller have problem, its a CRU ?

May Be ROS..

i know all the things...

i replaced New IBT Belt, all 4 drum Units... but print is not smooth as before...
35% light cyan print come like Clouds in the sky... on the paper

click only 200k in 6 months... 3 Toner set Per month

may be 1st BTR Roller have problem, its a CRU ?

May Be ROS..

Post scan.
What kind of paper you use?
Clouds? May be it is mottle?
Post a scan, I forgot my crystal ball back home.

could it be a problem of color calibration or paper profile?
How often do you perform color calibration? (linearization)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back