Looking to Learn

As I mentioned in a post several months back, I am slowly transitioning to working with my father's offset printing company. I will be handling the sales and marketing, as he does not currently have anyone in this capacity. I expect to start in July or August and in the meantime I am looking to learn and receive any tips I can.

Can anyone direct to any books or other resources that will help me learn more about sales and marketing in the industry, pricing guides that may be widely used, etc? Really anything that will help start improving my understanding of the industry in general. I am not completely unknowledgable, as I have been around the business my whole life and spent the last two years learning more and more but obviously I need to know the ins and outs. Selling is natural to me, as I am a sales manager for a software company now, but learning the industry you are selling to is necessary for credibility. Any recommendations would be great.

Also- do any of the industry associations have mentoring programs for new members or services of connecting new members will experienced companies in any way? I would like to see about spending some time in another operation for a day and learning how a well established company operates. I know many industries offer programs like this through their associations.

Thanks,
Frank Jr.

Check out NAQP (National Association of Quick Printers) as well as PIA or SGIA all organizations in our industry for education on all levels.

A few names I have come across for sales and marketing are Dave Fellman, Nick Devine, and Peter Ebner. I am sure there are plenty more.

A bit behind on the timeline, I know, but I would definitely second the sentiments of postnetnc... contact NAPL and ask to speak with someone concerning a course of study exactly as you described. Custom-created education programs such as you described, are right up their alley.

I want to thank you both for your reply I will definitely be exploring these organizations and individuals. Being new to the industry and looking to make a great impact on the company I know I need to prepare extremely well and quickly build my knowledge base.

Thanks again!

Check out the GATF and PIA bookstore. I've purchased several books on everything from marketing to CTP devices. Frankly (and this is so very anti-print) you can find a lot of what you are looking for online but I would definitely start with GATF and PIA.

Good luck to you my friend. You sound like you are bringing a lot of intelligence and enthusiasm to a pretty rough and tumble business. That's going to serve you well.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back