LZW Compression

amybest222

Is ANYONE still removing LZW compression anymore? converting JPEGS to tiffs?
We are a 100 percent PDF workflow- 95 % generated out of INDD... i just dont feel its necessary ? thoughts?

I agree that it's not necessary unless you have an old RIP that chokes on stuff like that. The last time I turned off LZW on purpose was probably 15 years ago.

As for converting files from JPEG to TIFF, I don't do that anymore unless I am editing the image. It'll get converted to JPEG anyway during the PDF export (unless you change the compression settings.) Heck, I even leave PNGs alone. Anything RGB gets converted during the PDF export, too.

Is ANYONE still removing LZW compression anymore? converting JPEGS to tiffs?
We are a 100 percent PDF workflow- 95 % generated out of INDD... i just dont feel its necessary ? thoughts?

No. All the images end up in the PDF as high quality JPEG, ZIP compressed, CCITTG4 and or Indexed in a PDF. Some use JBIG or JPEG2000. Doesn't matter what comes in anymore since it's most often the PDF going to the RIP.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back