mad questions?

joan2011

Maybe this is a mad post, but I have some doubts about rips. Please, forgive me if im too ignorant. Let’s suppose we have to answer some questions like that:

1- If I have a inkjet CTP like the Epson 7900, do I need a rip to obtain plates?

Answer: Yes, you need a rip.

2 – Why?
Answer: To make the cmyk separation and draw correctly the screening dots.

3- But, if I send to the ctp a 1 color work (no separation needed) with 100 % (no screening points needed), do I need the rip too?

So, are correct the 2 first answers?
And, which is the answer to question nº 3?

I would like to make some experiments like these, but I don’t have the equipments.

Thanks,
Joan

A RIP or RASTER IMAGE PROCESSOR basically turns your original file ie pdf, ps, quark, Indesign etc into a screened or bitmap image (Raster is german for screen) all professional equipment to produce plates or prints needs one. It is bascically an interpretor turning your file into a format a device can use. This is a basic answer Im sure someone on here will come up with a smart arse answer!!!!

Thanks for answering.

Yes, i know the basic answer: rip is an interpretor turning files into a format a device can use. But this definition applies too for a standard printer driver. So my question is, which is the difference between a rip and the standard printer driver (a epson one, for example)?
I thought the answer was the separation and screening dot drawing. So, the doubt was, its necessary the rip if we dont need screenning dots and cmyk separation?

Thanks again for answer.

Honestly if your only doing line work and absolutely no screens, you would probably be fine.

That being said, it also depends on your design program and how the printer is going to be setup. I have a very small print shop and I have been using a non-postscript copy machine/printer to print laser plates. The screens come out... ok sometimes depending upon the tint, lines, etc., however line copy is perfect.

I have also found it I build a file in Photoshop or something similar and manually set the dots they reproduce great on the laser plates.

Watch out for toner scatter if you go this route, I use a plate prep solution to clean it off before running on press, with the method I use I tend to get between 5000 - 10,000 impressions (depending on pressure and stock) before the plate wears out.

Best of luck. Please post back with an answer on your specific equipment if you do go this route.

Thanks for answering.
Yes, i know the basic answer: rip is an interpretor turning files into a format a device can use. But this definition applies too for a standard printer driver. So my question is, which is the difference between a rip and the standard printer driver (a epson one, for example)?
I thought the answer was the separation and screening dot drawing. So, the doubt was, its necessary the rip if we dont need screenning dots and cmyk separation?
Thanks again for answer.
FIRST POSTSCRIPT:
The PostScript printer driver creates the PostScript code from the application and sends it to the RIP.
The PostScript RIP takes the PostScript code and turns it into the dots that are actually printed.
SECOND DIY:
You can do the same thing youself: create an Adobe Illustrator file and save it as an EPS. Now open this EPS using Photoshop which will ask you the colour mode, size and resolution you want. It will then raster the EPS into a bitmap.
THIRD NON POSTSCRIPT: the printer driver takes output from the application and turns it into the dots that the printer needs and then sends it to the printer.
BEWARE: Some DTP software will only work with a PostScript printer (that is a printer with a RIP built-in or connected to it).
IN SHORT: if your RIP is dead you can send single page at a time using Adobe Photoshop; slow, but possible; although you would not do this out of choice...

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back