Measuring expected toner usage...

Hightower

Is there available any tools to tell you expected toner usage for certain work. I heard Jorg might have one, any comments

There's a rough home made method I use: Simply open the page in Photoshop and use the "Average" blur tool in "Filter, Blur". Then you can see the CMYK values on the info palette.

APFill does a nice job of calculating toner coverage. Next, if you're evaluating machines you would take the manufacturer's toner yield (usually expressed as 5% coverage on 8.5x11) and convert it to 1% coverage (so that math with the numbers from ApFill are easier) and then figure out what your toner usage per image is. From there, you can calculate out your cost for the image.

Again, that's all based on manufacturer yields - which are best results from a lab controlled experiment. If you want to know what you're actually USING for toner, you'll need to start by weighing your toner cartridges, tracking projects and impressions, and then weighing the cartridges after several thousand impressions. Use these numbers to create a % of usage, convert to yield based on APFill's toner coverage numbers (for the projects you ran through it) and you'll have an actual yield for your machine. Oh, and don't forget to take into account the fuser.

Mark H

I had a spread sheet that I would put the numbers from ApFill into and it would tell me the cost to print the page.

On one worksheet I had a list of the different consumables and the price we paid for them and there yield. And on the other sheet I had the calculations that would use the numbers from ApFill and the numbers from the sheet with the consumables.

It worked really well. I can't find the file anymore otherwise I would post it.

Ryan

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back