microsoft word document embedding fonts

If you don’t need to work the file and simply output it – it is generally better to get them to save as PDF.

Stephen Marsh

Not sure there is a way to embed files in a word document. As Stephen said, I would ask for PDF's. Word is so temperamental, things change when opening on Mac or PC, or different versions. I find what our client sees on their end is not what I see on my end.

I've got PC Word 2010. Go to the File tab -> Options -> choose Save on the left side of the window that opens up. Font embedding option should be in there.

Not sure there is a way to embed files in a word document. As Stephen said, I would ask for PDF's. Word is so temperamental, things change when opening on Mac or PC, or different versions. I find what our client sees on their end is not what I see on my end.
Actually, there is a preference, at least for Microsoft Word on Windows, to allow for embedding of fonts within a Word document itself. There are a few restrictions here:

(1) Only TrueType fonts are embeddable. OpenType CFF fonts (i.e., fonts with names such as fontname.otf are not embeddable nor are Type 1 fonts).

(2) For TrueType fonts, the embedding privileges must be installable as opposed to editable embedding or the most common embedding privilege, preview and print.

The results of (1) and (2) are that in reality very few commercial fonts will actually embed in Word (or other Office) documents.

To the original question, Word is terrible in terms of preserving layout from system to system even on the same platform (i.e., Windows versus MacOS) much less cross-platform. This has to do with how Word and other Office applications do layout, most often based on the font metrics at device resolution of the current default printer at the time printing is done or PDF created. This problem has been a pain the tuchas for well over 20 years! As a print service provider, generally speaking, the best results you can get is if the user creates PDF on their own system via the Acrobat PDFMaker plug-in to Word (and other Office applications) using the Create Adobe PDF function (with the High Quality Print joboptions) as opposed to Microsoft's save as PDF.

- Dov

Actually, there is a preference, at least for Microsoft Word on Windows, to allow for embedding of fonts within a Word document itself. There are a few restrictions here:

(1) Only TrueType fonts are embeddable. OpenType CFF fonts (i.e., fonts with names such as fontname.otf are not embeddable nor are Type 1 fonts).

(2) For TrueType fonts, the embedding privileges must be installable as opposed to editable embedding or the most common embedding privilege, preview and print.

The results of (1) and (2) are that in reality very few commercial fonts will actually embed in Word (or other Office) documents.

To the original question, Word is terrible in terms of preserving layout from system to system even on the same platform (i.e., Windows versus MacOS) much less cross-platform. This has to do with how Word and other Office applications do layout, most often based on the font metrics at device resolution of the current default printer at the time printing is done or PDF created. This problem has been a pain the tuchas for well over 20 years! As a print service provider, generally speaking, the best results you can get is if the user creates PDF on their own system via the Acrobat PDFMaker plug-in to Word (and other Office applications) using the Create Adobe PDF function (with the High Quality Print joboptions) as opposed to Microsoft's save as PDF.

- Dov

Good to know, though I am very thankful it is not something that ever comes up or I have to deal with.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back