Minolta 6000 thoughts?

We have been using one for about a month and a half. So far it's been perfect and has done everything we have asked of it. It does 60 cpm for 8 1/2 x 11, but we do a lot of 8 1/2 x 11 double sided, it does them much, much slower (my only complaint so far).

Lou

We have been using one for about a month and a half. So far it's been perfect and has done everything we have asked of it. It does 60 cpm for 8 1/2 x 11, but we do a lot of 8 1/2 x 11 double sided, it does them much, much slower (my only complaint so far).
We've had a machine since December.

As with Lou it does slow down a fair bit doing double sided, particularly if you're folding as well.

One thing we were caught out on is the inability of the booklet maker to fold SRA3. This means doing folded A4 with bleed becomes a real problem. The only way to do it is order specialty paper at 450 x 310 (instead of 320). This way the booklet maker will handle it.

Quality wise it's been superb - very, very good image quality.

Back to back registration is pretty good - we were quoted .5mm but they back pedalled to now say 1mm. It seems to do that pretty well and it is way, way better than our old Xerox Apeos.

We're using the Konica Controller (as opposed to Fiery) and after a week or so getting used to it it's been good. Fiddly going to banner print but otherwise OK. It has a few other quirks and the drivers can be complicated on tricky jobs (I've never used Fiery so can't directly compare).

The DirectPrint hot folder software works fine but goes deaf after a period of time (30-60 mins?) - the service still runs but it stops processing jobs. I wrote a small utility app to stop and restart the service and this has solved the problem. Mind you, I don't think we should have to write programs to fix buggy software but I suspect a fix will come.

ColorCentro software is painfully slow, even on a fast machine, but calibration is straightforward. Curve setting is a lot more convoluted.

The feed for the Bypass tray is unreliable. We avoid using it unless absolutely necessary and even then we tend to have to feed sheet by sheet.

We feed it stocks from 80 gsm bond through to 300 gsm and it takes most of them without issue. We get the occasional jam on heavier stocks but generally it's been good - we also use a lot of offset stocks.

Overall we're happy with the machine. Output is great quality and RIPing speed is good. If we were looking to buy again I think we'd get another one but would definitely look at the bigger booklet maker. I still can't believe that the booklet maker on a machine that prints SRA3 can't fold SRA3 - just dumb.

'k

Cool! We're planning to run a good bit of #80 enamel and #100 Cover C2S. What kind of speed are you getting on the thicker stocks?

Last edited:
Cool! We're planning to run a good bit of #80 enamel and #100 Cover C2S. What kind of speed are you getting on the thicker stocks?
I'm not sure how to compare lbs to gsm but I'll assume they're heavy stocks. There is a slow down but not too pronounced - the biggest drop is going double sided or folded.

I should point out almost all the stock we run is A3 or SRA3 - we rarely run anything smaller - just for economies sake. If you're running A4 or US letter it will go through at good speed. We don't put through huge amounts so speed hasn't really been an issue for us.

Helpful feed back. We have a KM C500 and it wont handel everything we need it too, but it looks as if this might be a good one for us to upgrade too. (He said typing so that he can be given automatic emails to keep up to date with the latest comments....lol)

We use Fiery for our job runs and once in a while I have to run a job in multiple to make pads for customers. If you need say 50 or 100 or any number, and have to run a lot of them and try offset sort from the fiery, there is no place for quantities. So if you need groups of 50 of a page in a offset sort, the only way you an do that is off the glass, which looses a bit of quality from the original.

Lou

We use Fiery for our job runs and once in a while I have to run a job in multiple to make pads for customers. If you need say 50 or 100 or any number, and have to run a lot of them and try offset sort from the fiery, there is no place for quantities. So if you need groups of 50 of a page in a offset sort, the only way you an do that is off the glass, which looses a bit of quality from the original.

Lou

Make a 50 pg .pdf and offset it. Easy

One thing we learned last week - when sending banners you have to send them one at a time. If we print single banners they print fine - if we set the print number to 2 the job will fail. the technician who came to check the machine was the one that told us.

I can overcome this by writing an Applescript to send multiple jobs of 1 banner but it's an annoying limitation all the same.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back