Need Directional Help for Upgrades

sphynx

My company had me take a detour from color management to systems management, prepress management and fulfillment management. I'm a couple of years behind while only maintaining our color management I implemented almost 3 years ago now. I'm now going back to fulltime color management to get system upgraded.

We're on Rampage 10.5 (obvious there we need to upgrade)

2 Epson 10600s on ultrachrome inks. (what would you recommend to replace?)

Have been using ICC profiling in Rampage with only a couple of press profiles for press/proof matching. Have not matched our offset presses to our Indigo digital press or Presstek DI press. (Need to do that)

1 Epson printer matches our offset presses fairly decent, which has gotten us by but needs improvement. Issues to address include proof metamerism, presses printing matching color, ink savings and too long of makeready times. Also many issues in system conversions of RGB images to CMYK. (I've been doing it manually on critical color work) And finally, need to adhere to a shop standard. (SWOP or G7? right now, best we can say is sort of SWOP)

I gathered a little info on GMG, CGS and heard Rampage can do some/most? of the same things for us.

With this much work to do, I could use some opinions and directional guidance so I don't have to take months researching and demo trials before making anything happen. I figure with some help from you users, maybe it could be weeks instead of months...

Thanks in Advance to All of You,

Gene

Gene,

Since you have Rampage I would suggest a call into Fuji to talk about your options. They are partners with CGS and together they will have many solutions for your shop. With Pressmatcher you will be able to match scientifically traditional offset, DI, and indigo. While they may visually look a little different because they are different print technologies you can show they meet an acceptable delta difference. They will also be set up your new proofers and get them to match your production devices as well, you may want to look into Epson 9880, but see what they say.

They will also be able to set up probably Gracol since it appears that you are not a web shop. They also have some great information on G7 which is a process not a color standard. If you are interested they can certify you as well. Steve Pfeffer is the director of sales at CGS and knows his stuff pretty well if you need a contact, and I'm sure you have your own Fuji contact.

We are also a Rampage shop v11. We use GMG to run our Epson x800 series printers which are at the end of their useful lives. We will be upgrading to the Epson x900 series ( I would not purchase a x880 series at this time.) with the Spectroproof add-on to automate calibration. GMG will also need to be upgraded. We will also be researching Rampage's Inkdrop with the use of dynamic device links to improve our press-to-proof match and take advantage of the ink savings. I would recommend you talk with Terry Wyse about all of the above, he's one of the best, he lives for this stuff!
Best regards,
Todd

one 'tool' to rule them all

one 'tool' to rule them all

as GMG has already been quoted and you started your research into that as well, you might want to look a bit deeper into it as you might otherwise miss that you could do pretty much most of what you intend with a single installation of 1 software (and activating the respective licenses on it):
ColorProof and ColorServer can run on a single station (actually in a single GUI) and would do all you have in mind for proofing, separation, CMYK standardization and even color manage the Indigo to match sheetfed offset (or anything else for that matter).
As a quite inexpensive additional item you can have a look at GMG PrintControl as well, which adjusts your press settings (optimal density and the DESIRED PRESS CURVE in your Rampage). Works like a treat and in a matter of hours you can print to GRACoL7. Any measurement systems or CIP3 controller won't be affected by it, though you might have to adjust some of the CIP3 defaults.

As for the proofer. The Epson 9880 (and its smaller siblings 7880/4880) are perfect for 4c work and many spot color jobs as well. The new 7900/9900 are faster and more flexible with matte and photo black loaded simultanous and also the option to add a measurement device which can be fully software controlled. The 4.5.5 version of GMG ColorProof supports this inline device for calibrating, profiling and proof verification. So fully fool-proof unattended proofing is possible. A password protection in the software can even lock lower level users from changing critical hotfolder settings while still allowing to process jobs.
The ColorServer application is a real high end tool for color space conversion and processes images or complete PDFs. Separations, conversions, GCR-standardisation and even image resolution adjustments are done in a single step. Because of its internal structure it is faster than most ICC based applications (but can be switched to ICC mode if required) and GMG has over a dozen years of experience with device link profiles and if you read through the different threads of the forum users seem to like the results quite well.
ColorServer is also in use with many HP Indigo machines to have them match to CMYK press color spaces. Match quality is extremely close and for several print standards presets and profiles already exist.
One of the nice things with ColorServer: once you have a license you can add as many hotfolders as you like or need. So separation, CMYK space conversion, separation standardization, adjustment conversions to go from coated to uncoated stock and HP Indigo all can run on that single license.

Read through the threads what users think of these products. If you like what you read, you can in the US (and other American countries) contact [email protected]. If you're elsewhere contact [email protected] for info on local GMG subsidiaries or dealers where you can check out what I wrote.

Juergen

I need to recant, Juergen brings up some excellent points about the Epson x880 series printers. The Epson x900 series have excellent bells and whistles, but I just received pricing....ow!!! Epson is not replacing the x880's with the new x900's, and I think more research is required before we purchase. I will be taking a closer look at the Epson x880's and HP's Z2100 printer also.
Best regards,
Todd

Hi Todd,
correct - the x900 series is not replacing the x880 series, but an added product line above it. Think Mercedes E and S class (now I don't know which Epson would be comparable to the Maybach Exelero in my Avatar icon, but just as this is a one off car, I wouldn't be surprised to hear of the existence of something similiarly over the top in the Epson labs).

But while most Mercs are electronically limited to 155mph (I suffer the same limitation with my Diesel Audi which I don't doubt would go > 170mph), the x900 series really is faster. Also the ink cartridges are more and larger: 11x350 or 700ml compared to 8x110 or220ml, automatic nozzle problem detection (I think even during printing), a much more comfortable roll loading mechanism and obviously the measurement device option. For customers which need high volume, extreme gamuts and fast material changes, the machine has serious advantages. I'd not be surprised to see them in photo labs and POI sign printers. For proofing the automatism of the calibration and proof verification is a huge plus and with the blow driers for the measurement uit you don't have to wait 5 minutes after each print like on the HP z-series when used for proofing. Also packaging repro will love that machine with its Hexachrome gamut.

But if you're simply looking for an accurate workhorse for 4c proofing with the odd spot colour job now and then and about 15-20 minutes for a full color 8up sheet (70x100cm), the 9880 does pretty much the same job. Add an external i1, which you can also use for profiling your monitors, then you got all you need.

Not every one needs an S-class or an A8. I for my part spend more hours in it than on the couch in my living room and driving in England is as bad as the Long Island Express Way, so I'm glad for the added comfort and with 44mpg and more torque than a Lamborghini Gallardo I can get where I need to go quickly, relaxed and without busting the bank - still don't understand why you in the US only get the petrol versions (probably because nobody wants them over here)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back