new Canon imagePRESS C700

BigSi

Hi there, Does anyone have any experience with the new Canon imagepress C700 and/or C800. How does it compare with similar light production machines? want to compare it with the Xerox J75 and Ricoh C751ex maybe even the older Konica C6000. Not trying to compare it with $80k + machines. Especially interested in how it go's on 300gsm-350gsm stock as it's only rated for 300gsm. Registration, large solids, colour consistency all the usual issues.

Any advice much appreciated. Thanks Simon.

No one has got any feedback to share on this press? someone must have some experience good or bad?

The machine is too new to be in actual production, hence no feedback. I've been on a demo, and found the printer to be a solid contender, in-line with the new generation of machines from KM (1070/1085/1100), Xerox (Versant), Ricoh (5100/7100). Straight paper path, high-performance fuser (no slowing down), a lot of output options. Sold with the obligatory Fiery. The setup I've seen was hardly calibrated, so everything had a strong greenish tint, but I believe the machine is capable of doing everything the other printers do. Price is also in-line with the other vendors'.

Last edited:
I've seen a demo of it and the colors were vibrant, (in my opinion oversaturated) but it was impressive nonetheless. Long term reliability is a big question mark as with all light production printers.

Last edited:
Just few comments about new ImagePRESS 800/700, It is brand new machine and new generation of Imagepress family. I europe we have already more than 900 sold machines . First customer installations where Sebtember this year and Customer feedback is positive. Larger range of materials from 52 gr up to 300gr , banner paper 330x 762mm , envelopes etc. even With calibration print quality is superb and with ICC profiling you can see even 2% color coverage. This model was lauched first in Europe already in May and in Autum in USA. Can have two different Efi rips and Prisma sync as well

thanks for the feed back. May be they got released here a little earlier than in other parts of the world (New Zealand)
Hoping to get some feed back from the real world. I appreciate it is probably to soon to tell, maybe in a couple of months?.
Pricing seems "quite" good. Good being relative. Let me know as soon as any one has some info. thanks heaps Simon

Maybe you have to be patient a little bit, because it is fairly new machine, in Indonesia itself delivery is still ongoing, and several new machines installed. The price is quite good, the C800 with price around $ 56,000 - $ 61,000 (depending on your ability to bargain) including taxes for the unit alone. C700 here is only sold with a photography software package, photo albums, etc. so the price reaches $ 85,000: /. For your info, the C800 to 80 ipm, c700 to 70 ipm, and C60 to 60 ipm.

Yes patience is a virtue. I'd be replacing my Xerox 700. My main concern is that there would not be a significant improvement in colour stability (longish runs), registration, back to back fit. etc... To put in bluntly the 700 is "CRAP". Maybe being an offset printer by trade my expectations are unrealistic?. Out of interest does any one have any thoughts as to when a machine changes from a light production machine to a production machine?, it must be more than just price?. It seems a little blurred. Thanks Simon

Anyone tried printing envelopes on this press? Canon advertises envelope printing as one of the features on their sales brochure.

To put in bluntly the 700 is "CRAP". Maybe being an offset printer by trade my expectations are unrealistic?. Out of interest does any one have any thoughts as to when a machine changes from a light production machine to a production machine?

What about the 700 did you not like? For a digital printer it is very stable but maybe you can rattle off some things and we can let you know if it might be expectations or just a bum machine.

I've seen a demo of it and the colors were vibrant, (in my opinion oversaturated) but it was impressive nonetheless. Long term reliability is a big question mark as with all light production printers.

Oversaturation is a pretty easy fix with a profile.

Sorry for late my reply (been on holiday) A lot of things are worse them my old Xerox DC 5000 and the 700 is a much newer machine. Colour consistency on long run's (especially red's) Straight ness of the image, It can be as much as 1.5m out on the long edge (3mm's out when backing up) Tech won't fix because he say's it is within spec's. Registration is like a drunken sailor (as much as 1.75mm through out the run) About the only thing that is better than my 5000 is large coverage (solids and tints) The 700 was suppose to replace my 5000 but I think I'm the only printer in Auckland still running a 5000. Thank god Xerox haven't taken the service contract off it yet (touch wood)
Any thoughts much appreciated. Simon

What about the 700 did you not like? For a digital printer it is very stable but maybe you can rattle off some things and we can let you know if it might be expectations or just a bum machine.

Sorry for late my reply (been on holiday) A lot of things are worse them my old Xerox DC 5000 and the 700 is a much newer machine. Colour consistency on long run's (especially red's) Straight ness of the image, It can be as much as 1.5m out on the long edge (3mm's out when backing up) Tech won't fix because he say's it is within spec's. Registration is like a drunken sailor (as much as 1.75mm through out the run) About the only thing that is better than my 5000 is large coverage (solids and tints) The 700 was suppose to replace my 5000 but I think I'm the only printer in Auckland still running a 5000. Thank god Xerox haven't taken the service contract off it yet (touch wood)

Small personal review of Canon ImagePress C800 / C700 / C60

Small personal review of Canon ImagePress C800 / C700 / C60

Hello,

I have the ImagePress C800 and I'm pleased with it. My configuration is: Fiery F200 server, Multi-Drawer Paper Deck B1 with double feed detection, Saddle Finisher-AM2 and the X-rite Publisher i1 Pro2.
I haven't seen prints done with the competing machines and because of this I wil not make any comparison. My previous printing machine was an ImageRunner C5030i. I will not compare with this either because the C800 is in a different league.

1) Color Consistency. It is very good. I printed jobs with ~2000 A3 pages duplex and the color was perfect and the same trough-out the lenght of the job. The same job printed days later had the same colors as the previous job. Linearization was used for the specific media before each job. This behaivior is consistent independent of the paper type, size and coating. I have to mention that on some thin stocks the back side may have a small color difference when compared to the front. This can be corrected with some menu tweeks. The solids are very good and uniform. It can, on some colors/tones, have visible small banding; for me it's OK. You should check this out yourself. I had 3 firmware changes until now and this problem seems to be hardware related (my opinion). Color Consistancy is bad with "maximum density" ON from the CW print menu.

2) Color Accuracy. The printer profiles provided with the printed are very good, except those for the coated media. I won't go into details here, but on plain and uncoated media you can use the provided profiles and create your own profile after combining the apropiate profile with the specific paper linearization. The coated media profiles are crap ! I had the same green tint. I created my own (just one) profile and have good results on all thicknesses of glossy and matte coated media. Anyway: red is red (not orange) and blue is blue (not plum). Spot color matching in CW is licensed only for EFI i1 Pro2 and therefore doesn't work with my X-Rite Pro2. EFI ... it's not a nice way to do business ! The machine is supplied with an expensive gray-scale chart one can use in conjuncture with the scanner to achieve neutral grays in custom profiles.

3) Page Registration. The specs say duplex registration precision should be <1 mm. It is true, it the machine can be adjusted (hardware + menus + software) to come within these tight tolerances. The drawers were adjusted (took 3h for the servicemen), each paper type can have a particular image positioning and scaling, each tray can have its own alignment, image shift from EFI Command Workstation. Alignment trough-out the jobs is identical, no significant or observable shifts. As I use a large variety of papers I didn't do all of the above. If I would have done it all I am sure it can be made to match 100%. If I have an important job, I take 5 minutes before the print to make sure the print is within my (strict) tolerances.

4) Paper feeding. In the specs it says "up to 300gsm". I printed on ~400 microns textured paper from the B1 Deck, and it works. The sounds from inside of the machine are painful. No pain, no gain ! :). I printed envelopes (80, 120, 140 gsm) in DL, C5, C6 formats with good results. It comes with an envelope attachment and a tab feeding attachment for the small trays. I printed on media for digital and for offset. If the cut is precise (for the offset paper), the paper is correctly entered in the machine, it wasn't damaged and the tray blowers are at Max you will not have paper jams. Jams are easy to recover from. The printed paper has no curl (or it can be easily adjusted). It can't print double sided on paper heavier than 300gsm or stiff media; I do this manually. The banner printing option (330x762mm) is not available for me; it is only for the By-pass tray with no finisher ! If they can make an attachment to feed 330 x 900 mm I will buy that in a heartbeat... but it's only in my dreams.

5) Price. The click price lets me be competitive within 250-300 copies. I bought it at a discount being a trade show machine. The BW click charge on my office machine is a little better.

6) Productivity. The productivity is good, maybe not "80 ppm" as advertised, but good. It prints fast, makes color adjustments after a number of pages, makes a transfer belt refresh after another number of pages, cleans the fusing rollers and in between it prints fast :). I guess that without the "speed brakes" color quality would have to suffer. All the automatic adjustments have frequency settings, general and/or paper defined. The Saddle finisher is also good. Tray B easily stacks neatly 30-40 cm of paper. If you have small or weak hands, call for help or take smaller stacks. The saddle stitch function doesn't slow down the machine; once you adjust for its quirks you can get full-bleed brochures at full speed. If I will have a higher printing volume I guess on-line or offline trimming and/or finishing will help me save time and labor.

7. Server. It is actually my least favorite part. Frankly, the software (Command WorkStation) is poorly designed. My EFI F200 is frankly a little bit of an overkill. The G100 would suffice. I would like to see JPG and other non-PS formats supported in the basic configuration. Hot Folders work fine. Command Workstation has a thick-headed, old, inherited way of doing things. I mean that speaking from the interface design standpoint, The Paper Catalog is made by an idiot: you have no other way but to define each paper in the machine and in the software by each size I use. Lets say I use 15 types of media in at least 3 sizes (A4, A3 and SRA3 or 33x48,8 cm). That means the paper catalog and printer menu will be populated by 45 new media, each with it's own settings. The Paper Catalog can be streamlined ! The printing menu has NO help and the settings are seldom clear. I found a manual on-line explaining all the buttons, but it can't be this way.

I can only compare this machine with the ImagePress C6010VPS. The C800 is on par or excedes the bigger (and older) brother. I think it is faster on shorter jobs, higher quality on textured paper, lower power consumption (220V vs 380V), compact, cheaper and no smell. It has a higher click price and it's less future proof expandability-wise.
What I think it would be cool to have: clear toner and/or white/metallic/gray/pantone toner, longer sheet feeding, higher user serviceability, heavier paper support (even at the cost of slower print speeds). Also I would like to see the availability of the scanner without the ADF; it unlocks a couple of features at the printer level and in CW. Or at least make us buy a Lide scanner that we can attach ;). A man can only dream .... :)

Hope it helps !
Silviu

Hello,

I have the ImagePress C800 and I'm pleased with it. My configuration is: Fiery F200 server, Multi-Drawer Paper Deck B1 with double feed detection, Saddle Finisher-AM2 and the X-rite Publisher i1 Pro2.
I haven't seen prints done with the competing machines and because of this I wil not make any comparison. My previous printing machine was an ImageRunner C5030i. I will not compare with this either because the C800 is in a different league.

1) Color Consistency. It is very good. I printed jobs with ~2000 A3 pages duplex and the color was perfect and the same trough-out the lenght of the job. The same job printed days later had the same colors as the previous job. Linearization was used for the specific media before each job. This behaivior is consistent independent of the paper type, size and coating. I have to mention that on some thin stocks the back side may have a small color difference when compared to the front. This can be corrected with some menu tweeks. The solids are very good and uniform. It can, on some colors/tones, have visible small banding; for me it's OK. You should check this out yourself. I had 3 firmware changes until now and this problem seems to be hardware related (my opinion). Color Consistancy is bad with "maximum density" ON from the CW print menu.

2) Color Accuracy. The printer profiles provided with the printed are very good, except those for the coated media. I won't go into details here, but on plain and uncoated media you can use the provided profiles and create your own profile after combining the apropiate profile with the specific paper linearization. The coated media profiles are crap ! I had the same green tint. I created my own (just one) profile and have good results on all thicknesses of glossy and matte coated media. Anyway: red is red (not orange) and blue is blue (not plum). Spot color matching in CW is licensed only for EFI i1 Pro2 and therefore doesn't work with my X-Rite Pro2. EFI ... it's not a nice way to do business ! The machine is supplied with an expensive gray-scale chart one can use in conjuncture with the scanner to achieve neutral grays in custom profiles.

3) Page Registration. The specs say duplex registration precision should be <1 mm. It is true, it the machine can be adjusted (hardware + menus + software) to come within these tight tolerances. The drawers were adjusted (took 3h for the servicemen), each paper type can have a particular image positioning and scaling, each tray can have its own alignment, image shift from EFI Command Workstation. Alignment trough-out the jobs is identical, no significant or observable shifts. As I use a large variety of papers I didn't do all of the above. If I would have done it all I am sure it can be made to match 100%. If I have an important job, I take 5 minutes before the print to make sure the print is within my (strict) tolerances.

4) Paper feeding. In the specs it says "up to 300gsm". I printed on ~400 microns textured paper from the B1 Deck, and it works. The sounds from inside of the machine are painful. No pain, no gain ! :). I printed envelopes (80, 120, 140 gsm) in DL, C5, C6 formats with good results. It comes with an envelope attachment and a tab feeding attachment for the small trays. I printed on media for digital and for offset. If the cut is precise (for the offset paper), the paper is correctly entered in the machine, it wasn't damaged and the tray blowers are at Max you will not have paper jams. Jams are easy to recover from. The printed paper has no curl (or it can be easily adjusted). It can't print double sided on paper heavier than 300gsm or stiff media; I do this manually. The banner printing option (330x762mm) is not available for me; it is only for the By-pass tray with no finisher ! If they can make an attachment to feed 330 x 900 mm I will buy that in a heartbeat... but it's only in my dreams.

5) Price. The click price lets me be competitive within 250-300 copies. I bought it at a discount being a trade show machine. The BW click charge on my office machine is a little better.

6) Productivity. The productivity is good, maybe not "80 ppm" as advertised, but good. It prints fast, makes color adjustments after a number of pages, makes a transfer belt refresh after another number of pages, cleans the fusing rollers and in between it prints fast :). I guess that without the "speed brakes" color quality would have to suffer. All the automatic adjustments have frequency settings, general and/or paper defined. The Saddle finisher is also good. Tray B easily stacks neatly 30-40 cm of paper. If you have small or weak hands, call for help or take smaller stacks. The saddle stitch function doesn't slow down the machine; once you adjust for its quirks you can get full-bleed brochures at full speed. If I will have a higher printing volume I guess on-line or offline trimming and/or finishing will help me save time and labor.

7. Server. It is actually my least favorite part. Frankly, the software (Command WorkStation) is poorly designed. My EFI F200 is frankly a little bit of an overkill. The G100 would suffice. I would like to see JPG and other non-PS formats supported in the basic configuration. Hot Folders work fine. Command Workstation has a thick-headed, old, inherited way of doing things. I mean that speaking from the interface design standpoint, The Paper Catalog is made by an idiot: you have no other way but to define each paper in the machine and in the software by each size I use. Lets say I use 15 types of media in at least 3 sizes (A4, A3 and SRA3 or 33x48,8 cm). That means the paper catalog and printer menu will be populated by 45 new media, each with it's own settings. The Paper Catalog can be streamlined ! The printing menu has NO help and the settings are seldom clear. I found a manual on-line explaining all the buttons, but it can't be this way.

I can only compare this machine with the ImagePress C6010VPS. The C800 is on par or excedes the bigger (and older) brother. I think it is faster on shorter jobs, higher quality on textured paper, lower power consumption (220V vs 380V), compact, cheaper and no smell. It has a higher click price and it's less future proof expandability-wise.
What I think it would be cool to have: clear toner and/or white/metallic/gray/pantone toner, longer sheet feeding, higher user serviceability, heavier paper support (even at the cost of slower print speeds). Also I would like to see the availability of the scanner without the ADF; it unlocks a couple of features at the printer level and in CW. Or at least make us buy a Lide scanner that we can attach ;). A man can only dream .... :)

Hope it helps !
Silviu

Thanks Silviu
All good stuff. My impressions are it is one of the better "light" production machines. The question is, is it worth just going for a few more $$$ and getting one of the older production machines maybe a Xerox 800/1000 as these are getting a bit older now the prices are coming down quite a bit. Like you I like the idea of a machine being spec for 350gsm rather than only 300gsm and having to live with the word of the sales rep that it will run "most" 350gsm stocks ok.
The joys of digital printing. Thanks again.

Are you in a climate controlled environment? Consistent humidity and temperatures?

Are you in a climate controlled environment? Consistent humidity and temperatures?

No. Never really thought it necessary. The techs have never mention it. Auckland has a very temperate climate, (not to hot or cold)
I have all ways thought if this was a factor it would have effected other machines I have had. But thanks for the imput.

Warning.... Canon Rep here. I have been selling to commercial print for over 25 years.
I have a few out there with the 1st going in on November 3. They print 80% 12x18 Mostly 110#+cover and the balance is envelops. I am blown away by the stability of the system... much better than I have ever seen. Registration is crazy tight. I have a picture on my phone of a stack of 100# cover greeting cards in a cutter where the customer has split the crop marks right down the middle. I had a prospective customer tell me "don't talk anymore. Just show people that picture and the sale is made".
Envelops print nicely and don't mess up the fuser rollers (they use belts). There is a refresh feature that removes any lines or marks from the undersize envelopes. It takes about 30 seconds to run if needed. There is no need for addition fuser unit for different size paper.
Image quality is as good as anything out there. If you take advantage of the colorlynx software the quality goes way up as they do some magic with the GCR. That reduces the amount of toner used and makes pastels and such look fantastic.
With the 3 drawer paper deck the paper handling is really good. You don't need the bypass.

I won't sell anything I don't believe in and I take my partnership with my customers very seriously. Their success truly is my success. I think that this may be the best color system that I have ever seen. Yes, biased, but none the less...

Now that more time has passed, are there anymore thoughts on this machine. Looking to sign on the dotted line this week, any information is appreciated

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back