New CTP--Agfa or Fuji?

adamsg

Hi,
We are contemplating acquiring a new CTP and workflow. We have used fuji plates in the past--which are excellent plates. Fuji offers XMF and rampage workflows. Has anyone had experience comparing either one of those workflows with Agfa's Apogee? Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Adam:

Tomorrow at GraphExpo in Chicago, we are launching our latest version of ApogeeX - V. 7.0.
The new imposition module was previewed at Ipex, and was a bit hit.

Also - a change event such as yours is a great opportunity to take a fresh look at your goals.
We're finding wide adoption of our Azura TS chem-free plates.

If you, or any others would like to visit us at GraphExpo, I'll be in our pre-press booth, where we
are featuring Apogee X 7.0 and Azura TS. Our other booth features our inkjet solutions - so make
sure you visit both booths at the show!

Regards,

In my past 15 years experience, Agfa Apogee is the best software that I have ever seen. User friendly & reliable . Fuji? Well better not to make any comment.

Last edited:
Ask to see all workflows and ctp solutions in action at a printers, because at and exhibition they will only show you what they want to show you.

A

...Agfa Apogee is the best software that I have ever seen. User friendly & reliable

Really? I find it to be user-unfriendly and quirky. I've seen some weird trapping issues here and there, and anytime you want to change one little aspect of a job there are too many mouse clicks involved IMHO. I found Prinergy to be far superior. But, I know a guy who came from an Apogee shop to a Prinergy shop and he still prefers Apogee.

SteveAgfa, if I were to upgrade to Apogee 7, would I still be able to use Preps (5.3.3) instead of Agfa's imposition module?

Why don't you try Trueflow SE from Screen.They manufacture CTP and sell also under Fuji and Agfa brand. Best plate? Nobody can say which is the best plate- Fuji, Agfa, Kodak...

Now he is confused.

The best is to try them yourself and decide which one suit you the best.:)

adamsg -
One thing you may want to keep in mind, the manufacturer of the best CTP device may not have the best workflow to accommodate you prepress needs. Integration between different devices and workflows is quite common these days.
Make yourself two separate lists. One for what you expect from a CTP device, the other from a digital workflow. No need to settle for one for the sake of the other.

While you are looking at your workflow list you may want to check out this for both Commercial and Packaging solutions Packaging and printing pre-production solutions - EskoArtwork - Best of luck in your search.

What size CTP and production are you talking about? We are happy with our Agfa with accento and Azura plates. Stable system. All systems have quirks, and you learn to work with one and you find the others cumbersome. The Accento is a 4-upp CTP and is a re-branded Screen. With the Agfa system you get the hybrid screening technology (essentially sublima but "only" up to 200 lpi) I think the XMF has a stocastic raster bundled or at least they try to sell it at the same time.
If you can try and find shops of similar size, and far away enough not to feel youas an imidiate competitor ;p Preferably shops running both the one and the other technology.
As when you buy a car make sure you really know what is included and what is optional extras so that you are comparing apples n apples. Also think though the support issue. Will you want a technology contract, a full service contract etc. Is training included? What will the training include? Will they help you set up the system to ISO /G7 ?
Sorry for not giving specific answers, but wanted to give you heads up on the questions.

We have used Agfa Apogee for years and the latest version 6 and soon to be released 7 are excellent.
Your plate choice depends on your requirements but for long run length on large presses with excellent stability you won't beat the Agfa Elite thermal plate.

Been running an Agfa Acento with Azura plates for 5 + years. Pretty rock solid system. Low low maintenance, both on the physical side as well as the calibration side. Much more of a set it and forget it system which is what I like.

Mix of agfa and fuji

Mix of agfa and fuji

Is very simple, buy agfa worflow, is better

but ctp is better fuji .

Agfa buy all ctp from oem industries

paladio - screen flaterite
acento - screen
older macines from autologic

screen and ffei device is better.

You can buy agfa workflow, with one bit tif output option, and can use any ctp with one bit tif input option (tif catcehr), all ctp of market ofert this option

agfa ctp- printdive open conect
ffei - shotter rampage
fuji - rampage gateway
xitron rater blaster can output one bit tif over 200 device
creo - print consol

with this way you can use any ctp with any workflow, you ctp is buy for long time use, but you software need upgrade in litle time, if in the future you see other workflow option can test parallel and change it without problem.

If you decide buy only one solution ctp and worflow from same dealer, you not change or test one new software in the future.

Dan:

Yes, if you upgraded to AX 7.0, you can still use that version of Preps.
And, if you got our imposition module, you could use both.

Sorry for quick response - I'm at the show.

Regards,

I think that if you talk to users of the products you will have a better idea of the advantages of each product. I can attest to the consistency and quality of the Fuji Plate and here in the Midwest USA we have outstanding service and support as well as a consistent supply. The Rampage platform has been outstanding and its service and support are as good as they get. Again the true test is in talking to the client base. With the manufacturing here in the US and also buying direct from a Manufacturer there is a lot to be said for buying from Fujifilm.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back