Newbie question: What supplies and equipment do I need for this job?

grindhouse101

Hi. I am looking for a machine(s) to print on a sticky back perforated vinyl. We have a small sunglasses vendor business and want to make these custom logo promotional sunglasses in-house instead of outsourcing.

I have looked all over the web and have not found any answers to which specific machines and materials I need for an entry-level startup.

Any info concerning the above and an estimate in pricing would be wonderful. Attached are some examples of what I am trying to accomplish.

This website has examples of what i am trying to replicate: Customize Your Logo Lenses®

Any help would be appreciated...

Attachments

• custom-sunglasses example.jpg
    custom-sunglasses example.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 187
Ok, what you are looking for is either a solvent, Latex or UV printer with a plotter to cut or even a combo printer plotter.
Since you are starting out, I would strongly suggest you stay away form used equipment. You don't want other people's problems.
A New setup will cost you around 50 grand. Look a Roland VersaCAMM Product It will print and then cut on the same machine.
Next you will need to find a distributor for the Perforated vinyl, I don't know much about those in the States but a quick google gave me these

Grimco - Distributing quality products to the sign industry
FELLERS, the World's Largest Wrap Supply Company

Next do some research, it might be much much less trouble to outsource then to do it your self.

A good website to start Signs 101

Regards

Actually it might not be vinyl it is probably just sticker paper....does that change anything....need a machine setup for small print work

For lower production volumes, Roland makes smaller equipment as well at reasonable cost. Check out specialty-graphics.com. You'll probably find the vinyl is easier to work with as well as less expensive. Paper needs special coatings to work with inkjet.

I work at a large format company and we have Epson GS6000's that work great printing on window perf. But you are looking for smaller, Epson has a smaller version of the GS6000, not sure of Version # though. Oh we use vinyl window perf and I profiled a material that is the same...without the holes, of course.

I would go for HP 26500 Latex and a Mutoh Kona cutter for that job, that would be less than 40k, if you don't want to invest in equipment, I can assist you doing it.

Grindhouse,

The issue is the media. Given the quantities it sounds like you're talking about, you really don't need a solvent or a latex printer. Not only are solvent and latex printers more expensive than aqueous inkjet, they actually don't print quite as well.

But since this media (typically called window-perf) -- and as far as I know, it is all vinyl -- is mainly used outside, most of it that's manufactured is for solvent/latex.

However, LexJet does make an aqueous material: LexJet Aqueous Perforated Vinyl (70/30) | LexJet.com

I have no experience with it at all, so can't speak to the quality, but if it's reasonable --and they don't suddenly decide six months from now to stop producing it -- that's sure the route I'd go if I was you.

You'd then have your choice of any of several aqueous printers you could buy that would print exceptional quality for in the range of $1500-7500, depending on size and features. Then you'd need a small cutter to cut them out, and a laminator if you intend them to last awhile. A RIP might come in handy as well.

But I'm guessing with some knowledge and insight and careful shopping, you could put this together in the 10-15 grand range going this route.

Mike Adams
Correct Color

Lexjet aqueous window perforated vinyl (AKA one way vision) will not be durable because of the following:
1- Window perforated vinyl can't be laminated, else it will lose it's function.
2- Aqueous media are sensitive to water and might smudge easily if sweaty fingers or humid wipe comes in contact.
I don't recommend this solution at all.

"Can't be laminated?

I have plenty of clients who do.

As far as being sensitive to water, there are plenty of aqueous materials out there that aren't. They trap the ink in the receptor coat, and the result is virtually waterproof.

Mike Adams
Correct Color

It shouldn't be laminated be simply because it's full of holes, so when laminated and applied on glass, the lamination film won't get in contact with the glass surfaces making a double layer which blurs the vision from inside dramatically.

You are right. There are 2 types of aqueous media, media made for dye based ink which washes out very easily & micro porous water resistant media intended for pigmented ink use which is water resistant, but when comparing the cost of micro porous media and pigmented ink to solvent or latex media and inks, there will be a great advantage for the second.

It shouldn't be laminated be simply because it's full of holes, so when laminated and applied on glass, the lamination film won't get in contact with the glass surfaces making a double layer which blurs the vision from inside dramatically.

Yeah, I'm aware of the argument, but again, I have many clients who do. Personally, for this application I probably wouldn't. But I tossed it in there as something for the guy to consider.

And yes, typically aqueous media costs about twice what solvent media does, because there's the cost of the media, and the receptor coat.

But this guy wants to make sunglasses. And it sounds like in fairly limited numbers. Equipping for a car-wrapping shop hardly makes any sense, and someone needed to point that out.

Mike

Brother...

Argumentative li'l guy, aren't you.

Fact is though, what this guy is looking to do is eminently doable, and conceivably he could get into it for not a lot of cash.

Now for all I know, he may have enough volume that he needs a solvent printer and the support equipment to go with it. But, he could also produce these products with equipment he could fit on a desktop.

Or, his quantities could be so low that maybe he is better outsourcing.

I don't know... and neither do you.

He asked for advice, and I pointed out an option no one else had mentioned. That doesn't seem worth a snippy little pi$$ing contest.

Now if you must, feel free to have the last word.

Mike

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back