Noobie Needs Help on Monitor Calibration

navis

Howdy,

I own a 24" iMac (the one that's all white) and Photoshop CS2. I do a lot of digital photography/graphic design on it and I want to start printing my photography. I've printed a few things through some large printers and the colors are way off. What do I need to make sure what I'm printing on my screen transfers to print? Do I need a monitor calibration program? What color settings should my Mac be on?

Any advice/guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Tim
Untitled Document

You don't need a monitor calibration program, you need a calibration device.

The Eye-One range are excellent, and the Spyder3 range are good too.

Well, you need both a program (software) and a device (hardware). Usually when you buy a colorimeter, it comes with the software necessary to calibrate. If you are willing to spend the money (around $300), you are not going to do much better than a ColorEyes Display Pro bundle.

Monitor Calibration

Monitor Calibration

Hi Tim,
These replies are all on the right track. Monitor calibration and profiling (if you want to match monitor RGB color to print CMYK), is quite easy these days, especially if you have a good monitor like the Apple (which I think are Sony). You do need a measuring device such as the brands mentioned but one not mentioned is the new 'Color Munki' from X-Rite which is surprisingly good for small $$$. Most will come with the software to calibrate your monitor, but be aware that viewing conditions will affect the way colour appears. If you work near a window, the light will change depending on time of day. If you work under fluroescent lights, are they daylight or not? Even a red wall will reflect light in such a way it will affect colour on a monitor, so keep consistant and as neutral as possible; ideally in a darkened environment where only the light from the monitor matters.
Last, keep calibrating! Daily if colour is critical. Monitors drift and need to be kept within the parameters desired.
Happy profiling!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back