Oce Varioprint 4120

gg2017

Does anyone have one of these or its counterparts and have any problems they care to talk about? We are looking at putting this machine in and I'm travelling to demo it, so I want to have some questions ready to put it through the paces. We have a Xerox Docucolor 5000 so I know what to check out as far as basic digital printing goes...but are there any problems specific to the Oce 4120 that I need to know about?

I recently (About a 45 days ago) had Varioprint 6250 installed. It is my understanding is that it is basically the same engine but it is only one engine instead of two like the 6250. The 6250 I have so far has 1.5 million on it and no service calls! I have gotten about two jams and those were not really jams, just a piece of paper stopped in the path which makes me think it was a timing error or something. It is quiet and the interface is super easy to learn and use. The one thing I have noticed is the blacks are not as rich of a black as some other machines I have seen, but it is something you would only really notice in a side by side comparison though. The stacker doesn't jog the sheet really well, so you have to jog the output if you plan on doing any offline finishing. I don't regret my choice one bit and would get the same machine if I had to do it all over again.

Went and tested this machine(Varioprint)...it prints great. We threw all kinds of cover, feltweave,vellum,etc. and it printed on all of them very well. The blacks are not as "black" as the xerox puts out, but it looks like an offset black and some of our customers prefer that. The interface seems easy to use and the tab features work extremely well for the project I tested. Some of the cons are scratching. When I lightly ran my fingernail across the sheet, it showed the scratches easily which worries me since we run most our sheets through finishing equipment. Another was the back-up was way off on first run, like about 1/2 inch or so. It can be brought in and they said once you set up the kind of paper you don't have to worry about it again...but I wished it was closer right off the bat.

Then I went to Xerox and ran the Nuvera with the same files and paper. Couldnt handle half of the stock. Image was flaking. The vellum, feltweave, and other hard stock we brought in had lines and splotchy print. We figured this would be hard paper which is why we used it to see the limits of the machines. Oce handled it with no problems. The xerox guy said his machine needed to be serviced and would bring me samples later on.

When he brought the samples, they look better but the harder stocks couldnt print. The Xerox rep said the Oce couldnt print on those stocks either, so I pulled out my samples with the same image and he had nothing else to say. Also, on regular stock 80#text and 80# cover, the xerox ran a nice solid black, however all the halftones plugged. He said he would go back and see if he could adjust it.

In short, the Oce blew the Nuvera away. I loaded all those stocks in one tray on the Oce and hit print and it ran all fine without any adjustments in one pass. The xerox guy is STILL trying to get me samples that are usable. If we can get the scratching issue resolved, its a no-brainer in my book.

PrePrinted Stock on Oce' 6250

PrePrinted Stock on Oce' 6250

Has anyone tried to run preprinted stock thru the Oce' 6250?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back