Online Approval for Packaging

bobbyc

We're looking into solutions for an online customer approval system for packaging graphics, thought I'd come here for suggestions. Currently using Esko Backstage for workflow automation, so we've looked at their WebCenter software -- but it might be a bit more than we need.

Looking for something on the simple side:
- Post proofs (PDFs) online.
- Create secure way for customers to go to site and view just their proofs.
- Customer should be able to approve artwork or submit revisions.
- System should be able to "talk back" to our custom database solution (record that an item is approved or needs to be revised)

- Usage is going to be geared towards lots of infrequent users, rather than a handful of frequent users (user setup should be simple).
- Does not need to be a color managed soft proof.
- Simple might be better for our case. The fancy collaboration tools, etc... just wouldn't get used.

I know there are lots of solutions out there, some I'm anxious to hear some suggestions that might fit the bill. We're weighing buying a pre-made application vs developing one ourselves. Thanks!

We've been looking at this on and off. Also looked at WebCenter but found it actually did far more than we needed and cost too much.

Other systems I looked at were Flowmation and Dalim Dialogue.

Flowmation - very simple to use. Clear interface. Easy approval etc Our main issue was that the customer cannot view separations of the artwork (we are also in packaging).

Dialogue - Fantastic viewing features, offers everything such as separations, measurements etc. However, what really let it down was the project view which was awful and it was difficult to see what files were new, approved etc. This has now been updated and looks much better for organising the files on the server but I haven't seen a working demo yet.

Would be interested to see what systems you look into.

Kristian

I know your not waiting on this awnser, but sinds your already using backstage and also considering the future automation they wil be doing, I think Webcenter is the best way for you to go.
Maybee talk to a esko representative and hear what they can do for your needs.

Kristian: Thanks for the suggestions, will certainly check them both out. Separation viewing is not that big of a deal for us. I'll keep you posted on what else we take a look at.

CHM: We've already been talking to Esko about WebCenter. I agree that it would seem like the obvious fit, but I'm just not sure about it. New version is due out in a few months, so I'll be curious to see the changes that are made.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back