Oris Hotfolder

KellyTactic

Ok - So I am the only "prepress" person in my company, and am without any formal training. We use InDesign, Acrobat, PitStop, and Oris Hotfolders with an Epson 7800, supplying X1as to the printer.

Recently, the hotfolder started rejecting the pdfs, saying they were unknown file types. I changed the printer setting to allow all file types to print, but they are still rejected. As this is the only way to print anything on the 7800, this is really holding back a lot of work. Any ideas on why this is happening or what I could try to fix it?

Thanks!
Kelly

What version of ORIS Color Tuner are you using? Did you just update ORIS. If so, did you create new hotfolders instead of using the previous ones?

Version 5.4.1

The computer everything is on crashed hard in August, that's would be the last time anything was manually updated to the software. I created a new hotfolder with tech support's help after that(there is no wizard or written instructions for dotproofing), so I know that was set up correctly.

I don't know about automatic updates, either from Adobe or Windows.

So you are saying that the hotfolder was working fine, accepting PDF/x-1a files, then one day it started rejecting them? No changes to the hotfolder or the way you were making the PDFs? If you take an old PDF that you have successfully proofed in the past, the RIP now rejects it as an unknown file type, right? So clearly the problem is the hotfolder. Make sure the hotfolder can locate the calibration and colormatch files it is set to use. I've had situations where I get strange errors and the problem turns out to be that the cal or colormatch file was moved or had become corrupt. You could also just try to rebuild from scratch again in case some piece became corrupt.

-Todd Shirley

One time I had a problem with a corrupt spot color library (LUT) in ORIS Color Tuner that would fail my input files with spot colors. This might have happened when your computer crashed. Try creating a new spot color file (forgot the technical name) and relink to your hotfolder.

We did a complete printer calibration and hotfolder set up after the crash. And not all the files are being rejected.

Something new did occur with the files today, I tried to open one and it would not work. They opened fine before, so I have no idea what happened there. I have tried to re-process the files, but I'm going to try again later this afternoon. It's easy enough to re-process the files, so I'm happier to do that than try and make a hotfolder.

I hate to show my ignorance, but we haven't yet been able to create a working hotfolder without assistance from Oris tech support. They don't have anything we can use as a guide for dotproofing printer calibration, and as a result we rarely get to the hotfolder stage. I can edit one already created, but I get pretty lost when trying to start one from scratch.

If you have ORIS, then you probably have a copy of PDF Tuner.
Have you tried to open the pdf files that fail in PDF Tuner?
If they preview fine in Tuner, then that means you have a problem with your hotfolder.

and, you didn't mention (or I missed it), what version of PDF are you sending to the printer, PDF 1.3, 1.4, 1.5?

It turns out it's a problem with the autosave in PitStop. If I open the pdf in Acrobat and do a save as right away with a different name, the file will preflight and save correctly. If I don't do the save as, it will be corrupt. Again, it's not all the files and they come from a variety of places - a customer supplied pdf, photoshop eps, indesign... They really don't have anything in common that I can see. But right now it's working with the extra step.

We did have PDF Tuner, but I think it was something our rep just threw in... So when our computer crashed, we didn't have it.

PDF 1.3

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back