OxyDry powder systems

Pressmanscooter

Seeking some advise from someone who has experience with these systems, cause it sure isn't me. I'm used to the Exactronic style system where you just set a percent and forget about it. The press I'm running now has a Oxydry model 216 (200 spray box).

My question is this... It seems like there isn't a lot of range with this unit. I'm getting too much powder with the dial set at 1. If I turn it one tick mark below 1, the motor won't even turn on. If I go 1 or 2 ticks above 1 on the dial, I'm getting a lot of powder.

Is this normal? The chain drive hardly moves. I had to draw a line across the motor shaft just so I can tell when its moving. I've heard that the metering blade needs changed periodically. How often does this need to be changed?

I'm using an ink that dries really fast, and I have a good dryer. I really just need a very, very light film of powder.

I know there is a sensitivity dial under the cover, next to the test switch. I turned that all the way down.

Any thoughts?

if your all the way down with the sensitivity setting under the cover then the only thing i can think of would be to change the gearing on the drive. a smaller drive sprocket and, or a larger driven sprocket would slow your hopper shaft down.
as far as the metering blade is concerned i have had the need to change them. Ive noticed that if the hopper is too close to a source of high heat (infared dryer) the blade will warp and deliver an inconsistent powder film on the applicator roller.
Oxydry powder units are very antiquated technology. When you consider how all your best efforts can be ruined by the very last link in the printing chain it only makes sense to have a system that can be counted on to deliver consistent performance.

For what it's worth?

For what it's worth?

As far as I know, the OxyDry units are not speed compensated. Meaning that the amount of powder delivered, remains constant regardless of press speed. So another means of altering the amount of powder being delivered, would be to increase or decrease the press speed.

As an aside, have you experimented with the micron size of the powder you are using?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back