P A N T O N E Thoughts on 9/11

Would be interesting/useful to have this discussion after editing away the miss understandings. It is good that these discussions can go on, both for educational purposes, to air out arguments and to keep the industry awake for when technology is available for better solutions at a reasonable implemented cost.

There are similar discussions in other fields and usually it boils down to somone needs to bridge the gap between reality and theory, and the one who tries to brigde the gap is caught in the crossfire. Human nature makes us convinced our way is right and that hard neck attitude (from any view point) makes it so obvious any problem is somone elses fault or responsibility.

I do hear the ink mixers dilema. And I guess what you can do is to add the fine print that you are not responsible for variations on different substrates, and threaten any complaining customer to be forced into reading this thread :p. I feel your pain,

...but sueing reality for being difficult takes me back Hitch hikers Guide to the Galaxy, and then I am refering to the Art is beauty, and beauty is truth argument... in the episode of the typo "makes good meal for tourists" instead of "makes a good meal of tourists"... resulting in life being convoscated for neither being beautifull or true
... though could eaqually be true for "expect the unexpected" and I do miss the calming words "Don't Panic!"
May even happen the intergalactic buldozers were Pantone 123, but can't swear on it.
(the bickering I can do without, but at times it is a little entertaining :p)

The industry would except GOE if Pantone would step up to the plate and discontinue the current guides. But to date there is no energy by Pantone to do such.

Forgetting for a moment whether or not GOE addresses these issues directly, and all aforementioned debate, would it really make sense for Pantone (Xrite) from a business perspective to drop a well ingrained and utilized system for one that's not? Anyone remember New Coke? Any change to GOE is likely to be initiated from the designers.

But check this out...now you can hate your iPhone to! ;)
Graphics - myPANTONE for iPhone and iPod Touch

Lukas,

Thank you for the first 3 paragraphs of your last reply, very intellectual. The last paragraph was incomprehensible, because those type of medications are not available in my region of the Planet.

The King of Color

Lawrence Herbert’s dream never included a career in the printing industry. It was fate as he would explain: a fate rife with international intrigue, piracy, heartbreak and success…and once it began, he never looked back.

The King of Color is a fascinating glimpse into the life of Lawrence Herbert, developer of the PANTONE MATCHING SYSTEM.

GOE's concept from Pantone is one of more balanced ink films throughout the GOE system and also employing stable pigments that can be either UV or Aqueous coated without the potential for burnout or bleed.

Does Pantone state that? Where did you get this information from?

thx, gordon p

Last edited:
Does Pantone state that? Where did you get this information from?

Something akin to those statements in their white paper:

www.pantone.com/downloads/articles/pdfs/GoeWhitePaper.pdf

"Goe Colors were designed to be printed with uniform and industry
typical ink film thicknesses. This enables equal drying times and
more control for matching color on press. The press operator can run
at the same ink settings, regardless of color being printed."

"To mitigate change in color appearance,
it was equally important for them to be highly compatible with, and
receptive to, aqueous and UV coatings."

PANTONE Color Correction for CONsistency

PANTONE Color Correction for CONsistency

The King of Color

Lawrence Herbert’s dream never included a career in the printing industry. It was fate as he would explain: a fate rife with international intrigue, piracy, heartbreak and success…and once it began, he never looked back.

The King of Color is a fascinating glimpse into the life of Lawrence Herbert, developer of the PANTONE MATCHING SYSTEM.

Gaz,

Nice intelligent reply. Keep up the good work. You have reinstituted my feelings about human beings.

Mate glad to be of assistance....im here to help thats all i can say :) Intelligent comment begets intelligent response hey? Many an intelligent comment has been made in this thread, many which you have chosen to ignore but i guess its hard to see from that awfully high horse....

I stopped arguing and started amusing myself (without the deserved vitriolic comment) when you REFUSED TO SEE ANYONE ELSE'S POINT OF VIEW. All the best with your attempt to change the printing world...when you come up with a REAL WORLD solution please dont hesitate to let us all know...i simply cant wait....baited breath and all, as im sure you will revolutionise the way i print 10 ton of paper a day whilst checking every sheet against the ridiculous tyranny of the pantone system...as im sure my clients are losing sleep over my having to adjust profiles to get their job done, god knows I DO.... do you provide your clients with press profiles for peace of mind or just deliver the job??? We dont even give them the forage, that gets recycled, so even if the colour bars are not 100% to densitometer perfections, the client will never, ever, know....all they know is that the job is done, they are happy, and the invoice is sent.... thank you :)

And if you ever want advice on humanity...i quote scrubs...."people are bastard coated bastards, with a soft bastard centre..."

Good luck son :)

Gaz,

YOU know you are absolutely correct. YOU have certainly added your thoughts and I believe everyone who has read and offered reply to this thread completely understands where you're coming from. Thank you for your contribution and last reply. Your intelligence and comprehension is a Brisbane delight. Thank you for your openmindedness to the subject of my post. Keep printing what you're printing and I'll keep doing what I do.

PANTONE Adjustment, Revision - CONsistency continues

PANTONE Adjustment, Revision - CONsistency continues

The King of Color

The King of Color is a fascinating glimpse into the life of Lawrence Herbert, developer

Gaz,

YOU know you are absolutely correct. YOU have certainly added your thoughts and I believe everyone who has read and offered reply to this thread completely understands where you're coming from. Thank you for your contribution and last reply. Your intelligence and comprehension is a Brisbane delight. Thank you for your openmindedness to the subject of my post. Keep printing what you're printing and I'll keep doing what I do.

Roger that :) "Brisbane delight"....I'll take that as a compliment backhanded as it may be :) My openmindedness is not in question, pantone is far from perfect, but its what we have to work with right?? My KOMORI isnt perfect either but you work within its limitations and simply get the job done....i believe that you may have not understood that i agreed with you in principle, but not from a practical point of view.... Im sure that YOU know you are 110% correct, and it was never your point i had a problem with, merely your attitude... how about we agree to more or less disagree, and leave it at that?

No disrespect intended... and have a nice day ok?

regards, Gary

It has been a week and the replies have slowed. We must not let this (Pantone Irresponsibility) slip and fade through the cracks in the interests of the Print Planet and C O L O R .

For now, Pantone 123 C versus U has been chastised, mutilated and exposed enough through this thread, and rightfully so. Today, I am asking for someone in our Print Planet family to offer opinion on Pantone 304 C versus Pantone 305 C. Pantone 304 U versus Pantone 305 U could also be utilized for basis of opinion. Please offer up anything at all with some reply, should your light source, eye and brain feel the need to do so. Thank you. D

Why?

Isn't the principles the same?

Normally I would approach it from another angle... from a sample colour and a given substrate to choose the colour to give the closest appearance. For some substrates I know that they will look like the C and others like U, but most will be somwhere in between.

I look and see, and still don't get what you are trying to get at. Some pigments/recipies are not as substrate sensitive as others is that what you are trying to make a point of?

Let's wait for more replies. Someone is likely to get it. Light source, eyes and brain are required. LOOK at it, Lukas, you are very intelligent. Should hit you like a cold slap in the face. D

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back