Pantone color of the year

gig0

seriously, who are these gaytards who are paid to decide these stupid trends? Seriously.

Getting upset about a single color in the printing industry seems a bit futile. I mean, how many times do you think you have printed this PMS in a 4 color process and didn't raise your eyebrow?

It's just a color man.

I get it. But what are the credentials required to be the judge and jury of colors? Thats like me saying 2 is the number of the year. I mean, C'mon! I seriously hope they choose PMS 021 as color of the year some day.

These people are very respected in the color industry and sit on the board of the Coalition of Galactic Color Management. There are no other experts in color than these judges. Pantone pays hundreds of thousands of dollars for these individuals to choose a color. To mock their choice is rather pedantic. I can see you know nothing about color.

Also, I find it insulting that you would think that 2 would be number of the year. Have some taste for crying out loud! Diversify yourself into beautiful numbers like 42 or 4397 which is a prime number!

/sarcasm

seriously, who are these gaytards who are paid to decide these stupid trends? Seriously.

I never thought that I would come to Pantone's defence but...
Pantone tries to interject itself whenever and wherever color is being communicated or where it is core to the issue. That is how it earns its money. So, Pantone is involved in many areas beyond print.
If you are responsible for ordering millions of dollars of fabrics, house paint, wall coverings, automobile models etc. sometimes a year or more in advance of the product on the shelf, it would be very important for you to have some understanding of what colors will be in demand at that point in time. There are people (not the derisive "gaytards") whose job it is to have an understanding of the relationship of consumer with hue at any given time. That's all that's being reflected in the "Pantone color of the year".

Thanks Gordo for using my original 'gaytards' reference in a logical sense. I never thought I'd see the day. Anywho, what is their criteria for determining such trendy stuff? I mean, are they hipsters, or what? Who are they to decide what color is in or not? I've had one customer this past year who asked to have a drawdown on a metallic ink. I vote for him to determine the next hip color.

EDIT: So if I understand Gordo correctly, the trend is determined by demand. In other words, their formula is based on PO#'s of what colors are hot. ALL HAIL PMS 021!

Last edited:
Thanks Gordo for using my original 'gaytards' reference in a logical sense. I never thought I'd see the day. Anywho, what is their criteria for determining such trendy stuff? I mean, are they hipsters, or what? Who are they to decide what color is in or not? I've had one customer this past year who asked to have a drawdown on a metallic ink. I vote for him to determine the next hip color.

I used to do marketing work for a sportswear company. All I can say is that when you work in that industry you develop knowledge and awareness of these things - it's part of the culture of the industry. It's just the same as the knowledge and awareness you have about trends in the print industry that would be meaningless to them but has significance to you.

Allow me to RETORT.

While I worked for Pantone in 2002 - I happen to personally know - and have worked with - and have presented with - Leatrice Eiseman ( who you refered to as a "gaytard" above )

Leatrice Eiseman, Executive Director, Pantone Color Institute on home decor and paint color in the Spring 2014 Pantone Fashion Color Report.

The Pantone Institute is highly regarded as a forcasting expert to color trends that the fabric, plastics and paint industries ( somewhat larger than the print industry) closely watch.

Pantone Color Institute - Color Consulting and Forecasts

- Leatrice predicited - before the movies came out that hulk and shrek green - and all manners of manufacturers were making food, skateboards and jackets that bright green.

it is massive business - guess wrong on colors that don't help sell costs companies millions.

Fashion+Home - 40 years of color

So, sorry, I disagree with your assessment - and thank you Gordon.

Allow me to RETORT.

While I worked for Pantone in 2002 - I happen to personally know - and have worked with - and have presented with - Leatrice Eiseman ( who you refered to as a "gaytard" above )

Leatrice Eiseman, Executive Director, Pantone Color Institute on home decor and paint color in the Spring 2014 Pantone Fashion Color Report.

The Pantone Institute is highly regarded as a forcasting expert to color trends that the fabric, plastics and paint industries ( somewhat larger than the print industry) closely watch.

Pantone Color Institute - Color Consulting and Forecasts

- Leatrice predicited - before the movies came out that hulk and shrek green - and all manners of manufacturers were making food, skateboards and jackets that bright green.

it is massive business - guess wrong on colors that don't help sell costs companies millions.

Fashion+Home - 40 years of color

So, sorry, I disagree with your assessment - and thank you Gordon.

Paintone only cares about selling color my friend. The end user and practical application part of it short and sweet is, they could care less.

And that is a fact.

D Ink Man

Thanks for some background info, Michael.

Can you expand on guessing wrong with the colors? Whats to guess? Manufactures place a order for a dye. Do the dyes have to cure for a year or something when they produce it? I'm not questioning the history of color, just trying to figure out for the life of me why there is a Color of the Year. How were we able to survive before B.C. (Before Color) Pantone Color of the Year? Did we run out of Reflex Blue at some point?

Thanks for some background info, Michael.

Can you expand on guessing wrong with the colors? Whats to guess? Manufactures place a order for a dye. Do the dyes have to cure for a year or something when they produce it? I'm not questioning the history of color, just trying to figure out for the life of me why there is a Color of the Year. How were we able to survive before B.C. (Before Color) Pantone Color of the Year? Did we run out of Reflex Blue at some point?

When I did graphics work in the fashion industry (early 80s) the clothing designers worked about a year ahead of when the clothes would appear in the shops. Because most of the clothes were made in China - you had to be able to place your order for fabrics (colors, patterns, fabric type, etc.) at least that far in advance not only to get the raw materials but to secure the manufacturer's time slot. Miss your slot and your stuff doesn't get made. Stores also need to know what will be hot well in advance so that they can place their orders so that they have enough of the appropriate stock on hand when the season comes around. Make a mistake (e.g. order lots of red dresses but the hot color is green) and millions of dollars are lost.

It may not mean anything to you but most consumers are aware of what styles are "in" when they go to the shops - and make their purchase decisions with that in mind.

One of my fashions posters from 1982 (don't laugh too hard) :)

Pentimento_zps15d04ef8.jpg

Paintone only cares about selling color my friend. The end user and practical application part of it short and sweet is, they could care less.

And that is a fact.

D Ink Man

Pantone is providing a service which the industry it serves is willing to pay for. Just like you do. Nothing wrong with that.

When I did graphics work in the fashion industry (early 80s) the clothing designers worked about a year ahead of when the clothes would appear in the shops. Because most of the clothes were made in China - you had to be able to place your order for fabrics (colors, patterns, fabric type, etc.) at least that far in advance not only to get the raw materials but to secure the manufacturer's time slot.

Comon' Gordo! Walmart had Lebron James Cavs tee-shirts the same week he announced he's going back to Cleveland! Either way, the fashion industry managed to drill Olive Green and Orange into our heads back in the 70's without some nonsensical Color of the Year that was christened by a few. It's merely a sensationalist approach to a non-issue and nothing more than a marketing gimmick. Boom.

Comon' Gordo! Walmart had Lebron James Cavs tee-shirts the same week he announced he's going back to Cleveland! Either way, the fashion industry managed to drill Olive Green and Orange into our heads back in the 70's without some nonsensical Color of the Year that was christened by a few. It's merely a sensationalist approach to a non-issue and nothing more than a marketing gimmick. Boom.

T-Shirts are standard stocked items and have been for decades. So, not the same situation at all.

Pantone's been involved with this for a looong time - even the 1970s you mention:
https://www.pantone.com/pages/Pantone/Pantone.aspx?pg=19758&ca=4

Pantone saw a need and therefore a business opportunity just as they did with spot color specification back in the day.

This reminds me about color specifications before Pantone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVMDS3qeLb8

Last edited:
Pantone saw a need and therefore a business opportunity

That's pretty much my take on it. They need to work on the their tracking color trends/forcasting because I see no neon color representing the 80's.

Pantone Institute is quite different than Pantone

Pantone Institute is quite different than Pantone

Pantone.com prints color guides and sells them - that is true. They have nothing to do with what we are speaking about. The "color of the year" forks work for the Pantone Institue - a completely different group with a completely different vertical.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/05/g...tone-color-institute.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

I was trying to stay out of this one, but then this popped up on my radar: Infographic: The Top Color Trends of 2014 – The Shutterstock Blog

I can understand the desire to predict color trends, but haven't got a clue about the mechanisms. I agree with gig0 to some extent - it sounds preposterous to declare a "Color of the Year." Maybe the term "Color of the Year" is a name for a concept that's tough to communicate in a short title. "Most Increasingly Used Color We Have Observed In The Last 12 Months" doesn't roll off the tongue.

"Most Increasingly Used Color We Have Observed In The Last 12 Months" doesn't roll off the tongue.

That is NOT what it is - it is more "The Pantone institute predicts that this color - it you use it, will be widely accepted, wildly popular."

( please, for the love of all that is unholy, do read up on who these folks are )

PRESSMAN, LAURIE | Pantone Color Institute | Industrial Designers Society of America - IDSA

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/tod-schulman/10/4a9/710

nl.linkedin.com/pub/david-shah/10/816/441

- to say "no one can predict such things" is silly - simple example - events like the 1st Shrek movie greatly influenced the color used on all manners of things ( fabrics, cereal boxes, toys, lunch boxes ) if you KNEW before the movie was release or even talked about, well, yeah, that might be important. This is not like horrescopes. this is more like group that runs the The Motely Fool.

If you are not in the business of predicting how one company stock - or one color - might "take off" - well, what can I say, you might not get how these things work.

Okay, I am done.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back