Paper for GMG ColorProof

Alien

Hi everyone.

What paper I can use with GMG ColorProof besides GMG Paper (Semmimate)?
Maybe Epson?

Alien -

GMG 250 is excellent paper. However, it is also very expensive. ($479 for a 42" x 98' roll)
We operate a state of the art paper converting facility in the US and have a brand of paper called Validation 250 Satin. We have many GMG customers who use our paper. (We were a GMG distributor for 3 years.)

It is part of a GRACoL certified system, is extremely consistent and we already have GMG Calsets (MX3/4) done for Epson printers. 42" x 98' rolls are $249(list). (Epson is around $239)

Our paper is the highest quality paper available for proofing and is sold by select dealers in North America. We can send you sample rolls to test and email you the MX3/4s. All you need to do is iterate.

FineEye | Paper & Media

Let us know if you need any more info.
Thanks,
Ian

Hi everyone.

Maybe Epson?

You can use any paper you want....but you'll likely need to create your own custom calibration sets for non-GMG media. The GMG media is VERY GOOD but pricey....and coming up with your own calibration sets for a 3rd party paper is not trivial.

Terry

Alien -

GMG 250 is excellent paper. However, it is also very expensive. ($479 for a 42" x 98' roll)
We operate a state of the art paper converting facility in the US and have a brand of paper called Validation 250 Satin. We have many GMG customers who use our paper. (We were a GMG distributor for 3 years.)
Yes, it is excellent, I used Semmimate and Gloss paper (42'' x 30 m roll)
But now we have some problem with suppler, some I need reserve variant.
Problem not even in price, in term of delivery :(

Yes, it is excellent, I used Semmimate and Gloss paper (42'' x 30 m roll)
But now we have some problem with suppler, some I need reserve variant.
Problem not even in price, in term of delivery :(
Yes, Customs clearance of parcels causes huge delays in delivery.
Common problem of Russian (and Ukrainian) Customs bureaucracy and even worse - corruption makes UPS or DHL delivery worthless.
No consumptions - business stops, Customers gone...

Last edited:
Alien -

A very large percentage of the global inkjet paper production comes from Germany.
Contact Sihl and Felix Schoeller. They make the paper that GMG and CGS puts their names on. Please also keep in mind that Epson does not make paper. They put their name on someone else's paper (Private Label) just like GMG.

Paper for GMG Colorproof

Paper for GMG Colorproof

You can use any paper you want....but you'll likely need to create your own custom calibration sets for non-GMG media. The GMG media is VERY GOOD but pricey....and coming up with your own calibration sets for a 3rd party paper is not trivial.

Terry

RIP manufacturers who also sell paper have no incentive to make it easy to create new data sets, and it's no accident that these products are tricky to configure. That being said, you're right: Alien will likely need some professional intervention if he's to switch to another paper. Alien: You might contact Terry directly for a remote recalibration via Webex.

Data sets

Data sets

I've tried a few different papers and haven't needed to create any data sets. Normally a recalibration
brings the Delta E into tolerance. They pass ProofControl for 39L etc..
It's not a GMG proof it's a contract proof to a given standard... Paper shouldn't really matter as long as it's certified..

Hi everyone.

Maybe Epson?

Hi Alien,

there is a lot of half-truth stated here and I do not want to comment on all. Just two points. Whilst it is true that there are indeed only a few companies actually manufacturing paper, the range of nanoporous ORIS Pearl papers is being made exclusively for CGS. When you consider changing your paper for various reasons, (I am actually aware of the hassle in Russia), the least you want to do is change all of your profiles and calibration sets. This is not something which can be done via the web in half an hour, and even if the measured values are correct, you might still see differences to the original paper (slightly different gloss etc.) The ORIS PEARL SUPER-V, however, can be used as if it was the original paper. In other words, you don not need any specific calibrations, profiles and spotcolor databases, just change the paper and the results will be as ususal.

There are differences, however:
1. Roll length is 45m, so less curl and less roll handling
2. The sqm price for sheets and rolls is the same
3. No optical brighteners at all, your paper stays at it is, even under UV conditions
4. The meadiawedge tolerances are the same, if not better compared to the original paper
5. The manufacturing tolerances are as tight as with the original paper, if not better
6. The coating is nanoporous, i.e. better drying larger colorspace, if needed
7. Last but not least, is is considerably less expensive.

The paper is on stock at our dealer Comline, Moscow.

Please contact me if you would like a sample roll.

Thanks, Heiner

I am also looking at the paper in China. GMG doesnot sell their paper here.

Now I am going to test the epson paper and hope it works.

I am also looking at the paper in China. GMG doesnot sell their paper here.

Now I am going to test the epson paper and hope it works.

Hello Thisissun,

CGS sells the range of Pearl papers in China, no need to change your profiles or settings. Please contact CGS Hong Kong, details are on the CGS website.

Cheers,

Heiner

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back