PDF READER for DUMB clients

A nice help from you fellow guys could be helping building a list of features Acrobat does better than other PDF Viewers - something like "Acrobat does it better!!" ...and Adobe should pay us for this!
EG:
- overprint preview: YES
- transparency processing: YES
- color handling: YES

Hints?

Packzview is a great tool, however it is a stretch to expect clients of print providers to download, install and apply for and install a LICENSE this free tool… Not to mention download new versions when the old version times out (the software, not the perpetual free license).

Packzview is great for CSR’s and other internal folk though that may not justify a full version of Acrobat Pro.

Stephen Marsh

I agree that it is great for internal use. I can't count how many times I would be asked to open a PDF file to confirm dimensions or colors being used in a file by a CSR or "engineer" at my last job. We're a bit more streamlined here but I can still see it being useful for a couple people.

I think as print providers we do need to be a bit more firm on requirements for our clients. We need to be flexible but if we can show the reasons why it makes sense for the client I would think most would be willing. Maybe bill extra for the ones that don't want to comply.

I haven't had any license issues with Packzview. I installed it a few months ago and have been using the same one since. No prompts to renew license or download a new version.

I do use Packz as my main editor and there have been several releases which have been painless to update to.

Pushpixels, the license does not time out, but the software does. I now have 2 versions or so on Windows due to forced updates (however I thought that there were more), but as no uninstaller is provided there is junk left behind in my start menu. I asked support about uninstall steps but they did not reply… You get what you pay for I guess!

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
Hello folks,

I've been using packzview for some time. I love it and I strongly recommend it to internal users where Acrobat Pro is not an option. However, please be aware that you only get five licenses for each email domain name root so if you want a sixth user in your business then you will have to get creative or ask nicely.

Alternatively you can just pester and bug software product managers of your favourite apps until they are sick of your constant stream of feature requests... (ABC... Feel free to wade in at any point) :)

"… but as no uninstaller is provided there is junk left behind in my start menu. I asked support about uninstall steps but they did not reply… You get what you pay for I guess! " Stephen Marsh

ay-yi-yi-yi … the product is "free" … expect no support … be happy they offer a free version. is it really so difficult removing a couple start-menu items?

keep whining and the free version disappears … capicé?
look at it from another perspective. consider yourselves as 'beta-testers' … y'all claim the product is justified … now, do your part, and go tell others about the product … seriously. this will help www.packz.com out … heck, they could eventually give adobe a run for their money! www.packz.com gives you free software … now, you give them free word-of-mouth. seems positive word-of-mouth is a dying religion on this planet.

want support? pay da' man. :eek:
Fundamentally Retarded … Ergo, Error (acronym)

is it really so difficult removing a couple start-menu items?

I have manually deleted the start menu items and the old expired programs, however IMHO this should be handled seamlessly and gracefully by the developer, not the end user… There is a good reason why uninstallers were created in the first place!

keep whining and the free version disappears … capicé?

I did not realise that I had such an impact! This is just your personal opinion, yes? Or perhaps if the developer is receptive and proactive, the feedback is considered as constructive criticism and the product may be improved – which may then have an impact on the perception of the vendor and their commercial products by users trialing the free product that may also consider the commercial offerings based on their experience.

now, do your part, and go tell others about the product

Been there, done that on various platforms/websites etc. Noting deficiencies does not detract from the positives on the product.

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
Hello folks,

I've been using packzview for some time. I love it and I strongly recommend it to internal users where Acrobat Pro is not an option. However, please be aware that you only get five licenses for each email domain name root so if you want a sixth user in your business then you will have to get creative or ask nicely.

Alternatively you can just pester and bug software product managers of your favourite apps until they are sick of your constant stream of feature requests... (ABC... Feel free to wade in at any point) :)

Just an update to this. We are more than happy to extend the amount of Packzview licenses you can have for free. All you need to do is email our support at [email protected]

Although not in the same class, Acrobat Reader can run a script to show the various page boxes for the active page, which again is useful for a CSR with only Acrobat Reader (not intended for clients).

Stephen Marsh

Stephen, I was re-reading the post, and was wondering if you could help in directing me on how to run such a script? I can't seem to find a way to do it. Probably something I'm just overlooking. Thanks.

Stephen, I was re-reading the post, and was wondering if you could help in directing me on how to run such a script? I can't seem to find a way to do it. Probably something I'm just overlooking. Thanks.

Hi scotts, here is the source:
Code:
function ThePageSize(){
var aRect = this.getPageBox("Crop",this.pageNum);
var aWidth = aRect[2] - aRect[0];
var aHeight = aRect[1] - aRect[3];
var bRect = this.getPageBox("Art",this.pageNum);
var bWidth = bRect[2] - bRect[0];
var bHeight = bRect[1] - bRect[3];
var cRect = this.getPageBox("Trim",this.pageNum);
var cWidth = cRect[2] - cRect[0];
var cHeight = cRect[1] - cRect[3];
var dRect = this.getPageBox("Bleed",this.pageNum);
var dWidth = dRect[2] - dRect[0];
var dHeight = dRect[1] - dRect[3];
var eRect = this.getPageBox("Media",this.pageNum);
var eWidth = eRect[2] - eRect[0];
var eHeight = eRect[1] - eRect[3];
var pageLabel = this.pageNum + 1;
var totalPages = this.numPages;
app.alert("Page: " + pageLabel + " of " + totalPages + " pages" + "\n\n" + ("Crop: " + Math.round(aWidth*0.3528*100)/100 + " mm x " + Math.round(aHeight*0.3528*100)/100 + " mm" + "\n\n" + ("Art: " + Math.round(bWidth*0.3528*100)/100 + " mm x " + Math.round(bHeight*0.3528*100)/100 + " mm") + "\n\n" + ("Trim: " + Math.round(cWidth*0.3528*100)/100 + " mm x " + Math.round(cHeight*0.3528*100)/100 + " mm") + "\n\n" + ("Bleed: " + Math.round(dWidth*0.3528*100)/100 + " mm x " + Math.round(dHeight*0.3528*100)/100 + " mm") + "\n\n" + ("Media: " + Math.round(eWidth*0.3528*100)/100 + " mm x " + Math.round(eHeight*0.3528*100)/100 + " mm")));
}
app.addMenuItem ({cName: "Show PageBox Sizes", cParent: "View", cExec: "ThePageSize()" });

Keep in mind that this code example is metric based (all internal PDF measurements are in PostScript Points and need to be converted to other units) and in this case I am rounding to 2 places, however one can elect not to round, or only round to 1 place, or report in inches (changing 0.3528 to 0.0138889) etc. I believe that you may need to use the less common .js extension, rather than .jsx that is more common for the CC apps.

http://prepression.blogspot.com/2017...e-scripts.html

You will need to find the appropriate directory to install the .js file into (Windows or Mac, similar to below):

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\Javascripts\

/Applications/Adobe Acrobat DC/Adobe Acrobat.app/Contents/Resources/JavaScripts/

(The Mac requires installation inside the application package via the contextual click “show package contents” command).

The script will be installed under the View menu, however it could also be made available to another menu such as the File menu etc.

P.S. There is another page box that scripting exposes – BoundingBox, however I have had confusing results so have not included it.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back