Photo printer (laser) and Laser printer

nowsh

Dear all
I have been trying to find out the technology difference between a photo laser printer like Fuji Frontier and laser printers like xerox dc series, km etc... In a fuji frontier does the paper absorb the inks? how does it get the gloss effect? We are starting a digital print shop and for printing 6X4 photos whats the best solution?

There's a big difference.

Here's the 4 types of photo printers that I know of:
1) (chemical) Photo Printer: The Fuji Frontier uses light from 3 color laser heads (RGB) onto traditional light sensitive (silver halide) photo papers (glossy/matte) that are then processed in chemistry to produce the "image" - ie: traditional photo
2) (toner) Laser Printer: A Xerox DC (somehow) uses a laser to transfer toners to paper which are then fused onto the paper.
3) (ink) Ink Jet Printer: sprays ink onto "photo" paper which is absorbed into the paper.
and
4) (dye) Dye-sublimation: similar to #2, but uses colored ribbons on to special papers.

You're going to have to do more research.... as do I.

Hi,
A photograph printer typically has a higher resolution than a standard printer. Some designs also just take five colours instead than three do generate a much better top quality picture.

Offset Printing

The basic fundamentals of how a toner based machine works, is lasers image onto a photo sensitive drum, with picks up the toner, which is then pushed onto a transfer belt (similar to a blanket on a press) which in turn is then pushed onto the paper. The paper is then headed by a fuser to bake the toner into the paper.

On a digital laser printer make sure you use high res artwork and decent material stock, ensure the printer is configured to use the maximum toner, keep the fuser temp. normally on low but may change on certain materials.

I use a Primera FX1200 but that was originally a lexmark c780 i think. The quality from it is fantastic.

Not sure on photo printing may be worth trying a photography forum?

Sorry couldn't be more help

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back