Photorealistic Vector images

beautiful imagery...as i understand it these are illustrations rather than pics? the pic of the brass instrument(sorry failed music badly) is particularily brilliant, perfect light and contrast... the sort of imagery that, from a printer's point of view, encourages you to make that little bit of extra effort to get juuuuust right.. you would be doing it an injustice to slap it down and run it off.

These are illustrator files? It looks more like something that would be exported from something like
Lightwave, Modo or Maya.

Correct..all Illustrator files as I understand it. Not sure what the practical use may be, but still cool.

Those are pretty incredible! I only wish I could download them as Illustrator files just to confirm that they are in fact, vector graphics. I'm sure that they'd be WAY too big, even compressed. That didn't stop me from downloading the batch as jpgs. I even like the cat. It's not as detailed, but it was still pretty realistic. I've made progress in achieving some degree of "realism" in my own Illustrator work, but nothing on the order of these amazing examples! The artists achieved an excruciating degree of detail.

Thanks for posting the link for us. :)

LifeInVector ♥ com! I found these a few years ago and thought they were impressive. But now after seeing that first link posted up top, I'm not quite as impressed. I can hardly believe some of those are really vector. Did someone actually spend the time creating them or is it just some automated software auto draw thing? Unbelievable.

I am pretty sure I know how these were done. I hate to take the wow factor out of it for you guy, but here it goes.

Take any tiff, jpeg, bmp, or just about any other graphic file and place it in Illustrator. Select Live Trace, and set the options to use max colors and max definition, then apply. Illustrator does the magic, thats it!

Last edited:
I am pretty sure I know how these were done. I hate to take the wow factor out of it for you guy, but here it goes.
Take any tiff, jpeg, bmp, or just about any other graphic file and place it in Illustrator. Select Live Trace, and set the options to use max colors and max definition, then apply. Illustrator does the magic, thats it!

The vector results of Live Trace has none of the simplicity of the images on that website. I really doubt that's how they were done.

best, gordo

Last edited:
No those are not live trace, live trace doesn't give you meshes. There are hours of handicraft behind them.

Oh and I seen some of them as files. Used to do that kind of stuff 20 years ago, was the only way to learn how to do graphics, thogh at that time we used blends and we didn't have transparency. Many of that kind of vector files will however be rasterised before printing.

The trick with al art is to convey feeling, knowing when to simplify and what to leave. I beleive some of these images could be even better by daring to interpret the reference photo (or trace as I susspect in some cases)

Last edited:
Correct..all Illustrator files as I understand it. Not sure what the practical use may be, but still cool.
Exactly! As cool as it is I just don't see why you would do anything like this unless you're making some kind of fantasy piece that can't be photographed. Hell, these folks are most likely working from a photo that is already created. DOH!

It's good to be capable of pulling this off as far as techniques go but outside of that it's just a pat on the back.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back